Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this will be sort of a last minute request. As most of you prob already know...Circuit City is going out of business.

They only have about 10 receivers left in the store.

I am buying one tomorrow.

Choices are:

Sony STR-DG720

Denon AVR-589

Onkyo TX SR-304 and I think they had a TX SR-506...

Obviously the onkyo doesn't have HDMI...and well I would like it for my ps3, so i'm not sure. Inputs...does one stand out above the others?

any last minute input would be great! :T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Re: receiver choice. input ASAP

I have always been either a Denon or Onkyo fan. In this case, I would probably go with the Denon.

I think the 506 has HDMI pass-through.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
What are the prices on these? Make sure that you are getting a good enough deal to justify not being able to take it back to the store.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always been either a Denon or Onkyo fan. In this case, I would probably go with the Denon.

I think the 506 has HDMI pass-through.
It does, and that is the one I was leaning towards...Heading up there now, I'll let you know what I end up buying after I get back.

What are the prices on these? Make sure that you are getting a good enough deal to justify not being able to take it back to the store.
They are still under manufacturer's warranty....I wouldn't be able to return it, but it would still be under warranty.

The denon and sony are each $180 right now, that is cheap enough for me...I guess. 40% off orig. prices i think is what they are at. I just want to get one before they are all sold or I would wait until they were cheaper...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I'm not a big Sony receiver fan they have low power output and over rate there receivers. Denon would probably be the best in the list.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I screwed myself over. Instead of going with my instincts and buying one last night, I decided to make this thread and wait til earlier today....

I got left with the last receiver in the store, the onkyo tx-sr304(b)....

the sony was still left but it was out of the box and all it had with it was a packet of papers, and someone had stolen the remote....so I went with the onkyo. I guess component cables will have to do instead of hdmi for now...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I cannot see a difference between component and HDMI.

Hopefully you did not pay over $149. :whistling:
We have been using component cables for our digital cable box (HD) for a while now because Insight didn't have any HDMI boxes available at the time...it still looks good so settling with component is o.k. but I don't know how I can get a HDMI output from the ps3 to hook into the component part on the receiver.

I paid $118...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts