Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've gone back and forth on which receiver to buy for what seems like forever. I seem to settle on one then something else looks better and the cycle continues. But I think I've finally narrowed it down to the H/K 2600 or 3600 and the Pioneer 1021 or 1121. I would like opinions on not which is best but which is the better bargain. Is Airplay something that's a gamechanger? Is the Marvell chip a must have? Which is more reliable? And most important which is more user friendly?
Any thoughts or suggestions would go a long way to helping me stop the madness and finally making a choice. Please help

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Ok I've gone back and forth on which receiver to buy for what seems like forever. I seem to settle on one then something else looks better and the cycle continues. But I think I've finally narrowed it down to the H/K 2600 or 3600 and the Pioneer 1021 or 1121. I would like opinions on not which is best but which is the better bargain. Is Airplay something that's a gamechanger? Is the Marvell chip a must have? Which is more reliable? And most important which is more user friendly?
Any thoughts or suggestions would go a long way to helping me stop the madness and finally making a choice. Please help
I don't know how much this will help, but a couple questions pop to mind:

- How much do you use your iPod? If you use it fairly often, I would go with Airplay;otherwise, use the USB port that allows you to connect and play and that would be sufficient.

- How much content do you watch that is not 1080? If you are planning to watch a fair amount of standard cable, the Marvell chip I believe would be a sound investment (if I understand it correctly, it upconverts all non-1080 signals).

I hope someone else chimes in on the other 2 questions as I have never owned either model. Whichever way you decide to go, IMO purchase it and don't look back (seems many people have been telling me that lately :bigsmile:).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watch a lot of high def television and play a fair amount of games. Most of my movie watching is streaming Netflix. I don't use my iPod often but I hope it changes after I get a receiver. I'm intrigued by the HK "sound" but I don't know if the processing chip is as good as the Marvel in the Pioneers.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I watch a lot of high def television and play a fair amount of games. Most of my movie watching is streaming Netflix. I don't use my iPod often but I hope it changes after I get a receiver. I'm intrigued by the HK "sound" but I don't know if the processing chip is as good as the Marvel in the Pioneers.
I can't say for sure, but I know I have read several threads where JJ has lauded the Marvell chip. I also remember reading a recent AVR review done where Airplay was discussed a bit - you might want to check some of the recent reviews and get his take - unfortunately, I can't remember specifically which AVR. :eek:lddude:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Any reasons why you have "narrowed it down" to those choices? Have you looked at the Onkyo 709 or 809? in my opinion much better choices than your above choices.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tonyvdb I was intrigued by the Onkyo 709. But the more I read it seemed like there were reliability issues. There seemed to be problems with overheating. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No overheating problems at all, I have the 805 said to be one that "catches fire" LOL it rarely gets warm enough to be concerned and never "Hot". There seems to be some people around that have issues with Onkyo because they sell twice as many receivers than any of the competition. Onkyo has no more 'reliability issues" than any other company its just they sell far more so there can be a few more that turn up with an issue.
The 709 is by far the best receiver available for under $1000 and there are many others here that will agree.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. That's something else to think about. It seems Onkyo receivers have robust amplifiers. What about buying refurbs?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Referbs are as good as new, i would not hesitate getting one myself but because i live in Canada they wont ship them here.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
A4L is a good choices for refurbs - when I was looking for my AVR, I was all set to get my 809 from them based on feedback from many people here (able to extend warranty, good customer service) until Newegg ran a special on a new one.

Quite a few people have bought refurbs from A4L and pretty much everyone I have seen post has nothing but good to say about the quality.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
for what you pay they really dont offer much compared to Onkyo,, Pioneer, Denon or Yamaha. They just dont have a big following.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Onkyo 906 referb. from A4L and love it. I have not had a single problem and the sound front the amp is awesome. After two years I am still very happy with my purchase of the onkyo and getting it form A4L.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Count me as being a happy Onkyo 809 owner though I did purchase new so I can't vouch for A4L. I do value and trust the opinions of the members of this forum so if they say it's ok then I'm sure you'd be just fine going that route.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like the 709 is highly regarded. Just one last question. Has anyone had experience with the Pioneer 1121?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Pioneer lineup has gotten great reviews in the past but the the Pioneer 1121 did very poorly in the benchtest that it was subjected to. It did only about 50watts per ch all channels driven (very very poor results) and not a good choice.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
It sounds like the 709 is highly regarded. Just one last question. Has anyone had experience with the Pioneer 1121?
I had the pioneer 1121 for about a week. The center channel would not work and the wife did not like the look of it. So I returned it and for a little more got the 809 Plus I like the idea of the 709 and 809 have 2HDMI out. one for the tv and maybe one for a projector some day.

709 110 watts, HDMI 8 in 2 out plus has a few more inputs.
RC370 100 watts, HDMI 7 in 1 out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts