Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just posted here at first and my 707 died on me so...

I bought my Onkyo TX-SR707 last week from Fry's for $399 (Yes, what a steal!). Sadly, the center channel popped and no signal is coming out. I tried switching speakers to the center channel, and same result.

Anyway, I am going to return this, and I am sure that I am not able to get a better receiver than the SR707 for $399. What options do I have out there for a $400-500 receiver that's close to the performance of the 707? All Fry's are out of the 707 and I do not want another one due to my bad experience so I am thinking about Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, or maybe even Harman Kardon because they have their AVR 1600 for $399 too.

I heard (not sure if entirely true) that some speakers match up better with difference receiver brands? I have Energy CB-5s and CC-5 with a HSU STF-1. I am currently connected to my old HTiB receiver, Yamaha HTR-5930 and I do notice that the sound and DTS processing is not as good as the Onkyo and there are no features so my bass and such sounds a bit boomier on my old budget $200 receiver, SO! I do believe that receivers do make a difference in the sound it produces or processes, maybe it's just me.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Sorry to read that your Onkyo failed on you. For 500 Dollars, you could get a TX-NR808 from AC4L. I understand being reticent after having an Onkyo just fail you, but many of us use them and have had zero issues.

AC4L also has the TX-SR876 new for 799 and B-Stock for 729. This is truly one of my favorite AVR's ever. Truly offers the Amplifier Stage and Video Processing of a Flagship AVR for well under 1000 Dollars. Even at its MSRP of 1899, it represented amazing value.
Here is a Review from Perfect Vision:http://www.avguide.com/review/tested-onkyo-tx-sr876-thx-ultra2-plus-certified-71-channel-av-receiver
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Onkyo Warranty is 2 Years on their AVR's. 1 Year if a Refurbished Unit.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts