Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old onkyo reciever just died. I am looking at getting a new one asap. I have polk audio monitor 60s with a cs2 center and monitor 30s for my surrounds. I use a PS3 for blueray. I am trying to keep the costs of a new receiver under 800usd. I have looked at the denon 1909, pio vxs-01txh and the onkyo 607. Any pros or cons to any of these? I need some insight so I can purchase something soon, tv speakers suck :p

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If you can go with the Onkyo 706 or wait a few more weeks for the 707 to come out as its the best bang for buck with THX certification and pre outs.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I have looked at the denon 1909, pio vxs-01txh and the onkyo 607. Any pros or cons to any of these?
What did you think of the Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo compared to each other? Are you going to be using it for Home Theater and as your main receiver for music? If so, what percentage for HT, and Music? In my opinion, Denon sounds fantastic for home theater, the Onkyo may have the edge for music. I haven't reviewed a Pioneer for sometime now, but they too are right there with the rest as far as their reviews go. I had a Pioneer VSX-33TX several years back, and it was a great sounding receiver, but I have Klipsch Reference speakers which play just a bit on the bright side, and my Denon sounds the best with this speaker set up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have read extensively about many receivers and I think there is a reason that the Onkyo is always reduced in price. They have had the most failures and compatibility issues of any of the major receiver brands. Having said that most have had great luck.

I have heard rave reviews about the Pioneer VSX-1018. The are nearly identical to the Elite VSX-01 at a much cheaper price. However I've heard they are in very short supply. I personally own the VSX-74 and have owned older Elite and Onkyo receivers in the past. I really like the Elite series receivers and would recommend them highly. I'd recommend looking on videogon. There are some very good deals on the entire Pioneer line from the VSX-01 up to the SC-07. They are going for less than 1/2 MSRP. At those prices they are a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I just got myself the Denon AVR-1909 about a week ago and I love it so far. Everything you have read about the complicated set-up for this receiver is true and you will have to persevere with it to set it up properly. On the plus side, Audyssey works wonderfully and really improves the sound. I am currently away from my home and using a Yamaha surround sound speaker package that I would normally never consider for a real set-up and even with these the Denon sounds very good for both music and movies. I wouldn't, however, use the Denon for dedicated two-channel music.
Like you, I have a PS3 for Blu-ray, and the Denon works wonderfully with it for games and movies. Besides you can Tversity to stream audio and video from the PS3 to the Denon.
Only drawback, besides the complicated set-up and horrible manual, is the Denon has no pre-outs for audio and you can't use it with a more powerful amplifier down the line.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Everything you have read about the complicated set-up for this receiver is true and you will have to persevere with it to set it up properly.
\.
I have to disagree regarding the set up being difficult. I've always though the Denon's OSM was the easiest to navigate around for set up. I do agree that the manual's have always been terrible. I'm not very skilled regarding set up with HT receivers, but every Denon receiver I've owned has always been very user friendly. Once you've navigated around, it'll become clear with ease, as to how to set up your gear, really.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up with a pioneer SC-05(got a great deal even tho I was over budget). This thing is a beast. I have not had the time to play with it much, but my polk monitor 60s sound amazing! I couldnt believe how much better this receiver made them sound, its like I purchased new speakers. Ill post more about it once I get it all setup :) All I need to do now is buy a subwoofer. Coming from car audio I am seriously considering a DIY sub, I have built a ton of boxes, just need to do some more reading in the diy sub forum.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Very nice choice! You're right, the pioneer SC-05 is a beast of a reciever, especially for the money. I noticed it's selling for a grand pretty much everywhere. The SRP is $1800! So if you paid around a grand for this thing, then you really got a good deal! So glad you're happy with your new receiver!

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I ended up with a pioneer SC-05(got a great deal even tho I was over budget). This thing is a beast. I have not had the time to play with it much, but my polk monitor 60s sound amazing! I couldnt believe how much better this receiver made them sound, its like I purchased new speakers. Ill post more about it once I get it all setup :) All I need to do now is buy a subwoofer. Coming from car audio I am seriously considering a DIY sub, I have built a ton of boxes, just need to do some more reading in the diy sub forum.
Build it:T :hsd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts