Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I appreciate all the input, I think Im going to hold off on a new receiver. I decided to go ahead with the move, will be starting from scratch with a new media/theater room. Not to say we should stop providing input for good receivers under $1,000. Im learning a lot here.

·
Registered
876 Posts
They may share common components, but I belive they are separate designs (schematics). Its probably very similar to the recent BMW and Mercedes agreement to jointly buy parts and common components in bulk (wheels, glass, common airbag sensors, lighting, B&O speakers, etc). But both make and sell distinctly different vehicles which have little else in common besides a German origin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, so fast forward 3 years and Im finally ready to get back at the HT build. In the mean time I picked up a Sony STR-DH540 to handle the living room setup. Its done its job well and seems to sync nicely with the tv, xbox and blu-ray.

Now its time though to get a receiver for the basement theater build. Audessey recommends front wide over front high, and so Im searching for a receiver that can run that format. I dont seem to see a clear answer what models can do wide front, though a lot seem to be ready for High front or surround back channels.

Onkyo TX-NR646 is in my price range, but I havent found if it does wide.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Have you considered atmos, or DTS-X? If your room is down to studs, I would highly recommend taking a look. Every PLIIx/Z/wide mode is fake and pulls bits out of the soundtrack that is deemed as ambiance(short version) and sends that to the height wide or rear channels. IMO it would also be a step backwards at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Have you considered atmos, or DTS-X? If your room is down to studs, I would highly recommend taking a look. Every PLIIx/Z/wide mode is fake and pulls bits out of the soundtrack that is deemed as ambiance(short version) and sends that to the height wide or rear channels. IMO it would also be a step backwards at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For those formats, I would ideally place two speakers in the ceiling at the front of the room correct? I am still able to do that, although my in wall speakers I have only have a tweeter angle adjustment, im not sure id have the ideal angle.

Edit: From a crutchfield page:
"Dolby makes specific speaker recommendations for Atmos to achieve optimum performance, including a prerequisite “base” 5.1 or 7.1 surround speaker system, plus at least one pair of “height” speakers. The height speakers can be either in-ceiling or specially designed, upward-firing Atmos enabled speakers.

On the other hand, DTS has no official requirements for the number of speakers or their locations in your room. Just place whatever speakers you have wherever you can, then let the receiver’s auto-calibration system and object-based surround processor sort out the details of where to best send dialogue and sound effects. DTS:X even promises to let you manually adjust sound objects, including the ability to boost hard-to-hear dialogue above the other sounds."

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
7.2.4 if you can
What kind of budget are you looking at for the whole build?
The only thing I have left to buy is a receiver and tv for this space (no space for projector). I'd like to stay under $500 for the receiver, which the Onkyo NR646 is looking like a great option. I have three pairs of the monoprice 4100's to put in, and yet to order the center channel but it will be in wall as well.

Center location:

speakers: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=4100&seq=1&format=2

The front wall is looking something like this. With the "high fronts" or atmos/dts.x high channel angled off the ceiling. Ductwork kind of in my favor for blending the speakers in at an angle for that.

You can see a board on the wall to simulate a 60" tv. Have yet to frame in the ceiling/ductwork. Had two 30 amp circuits ran the other night.

A lot to do yet though in regards to finishing the room.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
any possibility you can turn your room layout sideways (put the display under the window), the way you have it now the seating against the rear wall is not good. A long room is also much better for sound layout.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
any possibility you can turn your room layout sideways (put the display under the window), the way you have it now the seating against the rear wall is not good. A long room is also much better for sound layout.
I wish I could, the wife did not approve. It also had a bit of a head knocker with the ducting. This layout keeps the room more open and multi-use. Long ways would have been awesome, as a projector could have been used too. I wouldnt call this a dedicated theater by any means, the in wall speakers everywhere are in an effort at being kid proof (if such a thing exists).

It definitely has crossed my mind a few times though.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thats a shame as that layout would be far better. But WAF is always good to keep in mind.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
If your chairs are going to be pushed up against the wall, you'll probably want some absorption back there. I think the wall is going to create some issues... I agree with Tony, lengthwise is the best option, but work with what you've got.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If your chairs are going to be pushed up against the wall, you'll probably want some absorption back there. I think the wall is going to create some issues... I agree with Tony, lengthwise is the best option, but work with what you've got.
Im assuming I will have months of room treatment work from reflections and such. But with the overall short distances from speakers and the screen (under 250sq ft area) I shouldn't require a ton of volume either.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts