Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha HTR-6160 versus Onkyo TX-SR606

I note the Yamaha has pre outs which could come in handy down the line. Which would you get? they are the same price here this weekend, $499 CAN. Thanks :rubeyes:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Is there that much difference in Canadian prices?

You can get the Onkyo TX-SR706 for $499 at the Shack Store through OneCall... $505 through 6th Ave and $514 with free shipping from Amazon. We represent many different stores. I don't know if any of those will ship to Canada, but you might check and see. I believe the 706 has several more nice features.

Keep in mind the Yamaha RX-V663BL is the same as the 6160 and as low as $399 at the Shack Store via Infinity Sales. It may be less expensive somewhere in Canada.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the Shack store companies are unable to ship electronics to Canada. This is for Amazon and a few others.
Also the Canadian dollar is down 20% from last year, so with exchange, brokerage, and shipping, to add on, you really have to be saving a lot to do it.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
My receiver, after a month of flaky operation that I wistfully ignored in the hopes that it would correct itself, has finally given up the ghost. I'm going with...

Onkyo because I want to experiment with Audyssey technology and they offer the best features for price ratio (just spent a lot on Christmas gifts, so money is tight right now)

the 706 (offers a more advanced Audyssey than the 606, also THX certified, pre-outs, and better scaling).

...and a refurb, to save even more money.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I posted this answer in another thread but I think the Yamaha may be the better choice for you unless you can find a Onkyo 705 for $500 in Ontario as that one does have pre outs and is a far better receiver. The Onkyo 806, 706 and 606 are now using the Cirrus Logic DACs rather then the much better BurrBrown DACs in the '05 models. Something to keep in mind anyhow.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Can anyone link me a source showing Brown Burr to be superior to Cirrus Logic? While that statement is thrown around a lot, I haven't found much in the way of hard support. The best I could find were some numbers showing a better SNR in favor of Brown Burr (120 vs 114) which would be hard for a listener to distinguish.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up choosing the Yamaha. Now my living room is torn apart, getting everything thing setup. I expect to have 6 speakers ready for initial startup. Then I will work on getting a sub and center. The TV is also able to act as a center but I need to read up on that, maybe try it. :ponder:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Congratulation ...I'm a Yamaha owner too (RXV-2700) :yes:

The TV is also able to act as a center but I need to read up on that, maybe try it. :ponder:
That would be interesting ...but the TV needs to get just the center speaker audio signal, if it gets all audio from DVD it will sound funny (I've done that, use the TV speaker at the same time with the surround sound and I didn't like it ....) :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The TV is also able to act as a center but I need to read up on that, maybe try it. :ponder:
Yes, that works just fine for the interim. I did if for a while a few years back and the one nice thing is if you want the dialogue a bit louder or softer you can independently adjust it with much more ease then using the receivers menu. Make sure you either use a "Y" splitter or just use the left input on the back of the TV as that automatically should select mono for that input.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Can anyone link me a source showing Brown Burr to be superior to Cirrus Logic? While that statement is thrown around a lot, I haven't found much in the way of hard support. The best I could find were some numbers showing a better SNR in favor of Brown Burr (120 vs 114) which would be hard for a listener to distinguish.
That may be a good question to start a new thread for.

Tony... didn't you also learn the 06's were much lighter than the 05's, which might lead us to believe they may have reduced the power supply?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
That may be a good question to start a new thread for.
Its been done here

Tony... didn't you also learn the 06's were much lighter than the 05's, which might lead us to believe they may have reduced the power supply?
Yes, the 806 is 14lbs lighter than the 805. Thats a substantial drop and cant be good for build quality or sound quality.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yes, the 806 is 14lbs lighter than the 805. Thats a substantial drop and cant be good for build quality or sound quality.
What about emailing Onkyo and ask them (if you're lucky they will give you the reason) ...just tell them that you own the 805 and were planning to get the 806 and you saw that differene in weight and are wondering why??? :huh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts