Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired 2 Polk Audio VM30 tower speakers. Now, I need something to push enough power to make them sound what they cost.

Overall Frequency Response 50Hz-26kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 60Hz dB
Upper -3dB Limit 25kHz dB
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-225 w/channel
Efficiency 90 dB
Inputs 5-way binding posts

Given these specs, what is the cheapest/ best way to power these speakers? I am a college student, so the sole purpose of these speakers is stereo. If adding them to my tv/xbox is possible, that'd be great. I've been looking into 2 channel but not quite sure what to go with. I am looking to spend 200-300 on receiver/amp-preamp combo. (I know cheap, but I got these for next to nothing)

Also looking to add a subwoofer, looking to pay 100-200

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need more information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible to spend less on the receiver without too much degradation of quality?
What about the Harman Kardon HK 3490?
Also, I can build car subwoofers pretty well, could i possibly save some money and build my own / is there any way to get a power source/crossover plate anywhere?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips JJ,

I know walmart anything isn't always the best choice, but whats the feeling about this?

Walmart ID number #0088493813304
Pioneer 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver featuring HDMI Connectivity
(won't let me post links yet)

I think I'm lured in by the 110w/channel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
onkyo sounds like the way to go.

There is a big price cut with the TX-NR509 or the TX-8050/8555..

Do you think that sound quality/ overall quality suffers that much from going through one of these routes?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My only problem is that there is only 1 usb port. I plan on purchasing the wireless usb input and using my iPhone as remote, blocking the iPod/iphone usb usage..

Is there anyway around this? no chance a usb splitter would work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also a buddy of mine is trying to get rid of a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi for 295$. Its in mint condition, all cables/manuals/remotes included + firmware update. This would be the better bet wouldn't it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts