Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Pionner VSX74 txvi and may need to replace it in the near future for 1080p switching. I really like that the Pioneer will allow matrixing of all 5 channel inputs to 7 channel. If I remember correctly there have been some receivers that wouldn't allow this with certain inputs such as PCM or DTS HD, etc. I seem to remember hearing that many of the Onkyo's had this limitation with DTS HD MA. Do they also have the limitation with PCM. It can be very hard to find this information out ahead of time, so I thought I'd ask here before I start looking. So my question is are there any recent receivers that won't allow PL11x matrixings with certain 5 channel inputs? I'm interested in the 500-1000$ range receivers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I'm not shure what your asking but all New receivers that have THX certification have several modes that will martix 7.1 out of a 5.1 source. I have the Onkyo 805 and it works with all uncompressed formats as well as Dolby and DTS 5.1 mixes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seem to remember reading that one of the Onkyo *05 receivers had issues with 5 channel DTS HD MA. I thought that it couldn't process it into 7 channel for some reason. I first read this over on AVS forum last year so I can't remember all the details.

When I bought my receiver there were some receivers that wouldn't add PL11x on top of DTS and would only allow DTS ES processing.

On my current receiver it won't allow THX processing (including Re EQ) on a PCM feed.

I would like to find out if any of the newer receivers have any of these quirks before I buy one. I hate getting surprised with these things after it is too late to ask for a refund.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Greg, you are correct. The 605 had a resource limitation with some combination of decoding lossless, applying Audyssey, and expanding 5.1 to 7.1 simultaneously. I can't remember which one you had to give up, though. I haven't paid attention to the 606 to know if it has the same limitation.

Other brands have had similar limitations in their lower end lossless capable models. The H/K 245? couldn't expand 5.1 hi-res as shipped. Rumor said a firmware was supposed to fix, but I quit following that model so I don't know if it ever did. H/K is up to at least their xx7 line, now. I want to say one of the early HDMI audio capable Yamahas also had trouble with 5.1 -> 7.1 with MPCM, but I could'nt swear to it.

The best thing you can do is download the manual for any unit you're insterested in. For instance, just checked the 605 manual and it shows TrueHD/DTS-HD/MPCM can only be listened to in their native format, no expansion processing via DPLIIx or Neo:6. The 606 sort of implies it can expand DTS-HD/MPCM, but there's a footnote that says IIx/Neo can't be selected with some source formats...probably related to sampling frequency, but it's not spelled out. The other thing is to find threads dedicated to the model and see what user experience says about it.

-Brent

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clarifying. So in a nutshell these limitations were limited to the bottom model that decoded the lossless formats. So models like the Onkyo 805 and other higher end models shouldn't have any of these glitches. I think I was following the Onkyo 605 thread over at AVSforum for awhile and that's likelyl where I remember this from.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. So in a nutshell these limitations were limited to the bottom model that decoded the lossless formats. So models like the Onkyo 805 and other higher end models shouldn't have any of these glitches. I think I was following the Onkyo 605 thread over at AVSforum for awhile and that's likelyl where I remember this from.
Sort of. Just checked my 805's manual. According to the chart, DTS-HD and TrueHD sampled at 96kHz and above appears to lose Audyssey processing, regardless of trying to matrix 5.1 -> 7.1. TrueHD at 192kHz is not supported at all. MPCM at 176.4/192 kHz doesn't support 5.1 -> 7.1, but doesn't have any comments about Audyssey. Since I rarely (ever?) pay attention to the sampling frequency of hi-res audio, I don't know how often the higher sampling rates are actually used. Just as the 606 gained a little processing power over the 605, the 806 uses different chips and may not have the same limitations as the 805.

-Brent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts