Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering...

When it comes to a Receiver in your system, What are your favorite, must have features?

What do you guys like? What feature are worth the extra money to you?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I don't know if I have 'favorite' features. I had a list of 'Must Have' features and then it boiled down to price. The 'Must Have' features for me included; pre outs to hook up an external amp, HDMI so I could enjoy the new formats from my PS3. All other features are just icing on the cake.

Icing part for me was the Audussey. I love having that and the ability to change LCPM 5.1 to 7.1.

Jeff Aguilar

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have to agree, Audussey and pre outs is a must have!
Other things I like is a large power supply and good remote control that is back lit and has a good button layout.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
My favorite features are OSD over HDMI (so I can see the volume change), Auto Setup (when it works right), Audyssey MultEQ XT and Dynamic EQ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
...Icing part for me was the Audussey. I love having that and the ability to change LCPM 5.1 to 7.1.

Jeff Aguilar
I have to agree, Audussey and pre outs is a must have!
Other things I like is a large power supply and good remote control that is back lit and has a good button layout.
I have a Denon AVR 4806, where I can convert 5.1 SACDs/DVD-As into 7.1 through DenonLink and still have the Equing of Audyssey, which is pretty cool. :T

It has the THX ultra II rated power supplies, but I am not fond of the Remote's performance...:gah:

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Mine is reliability. I really don't care for all the features, I don't use very many and really resent being forced into buying a bunch of features I don't want (not just receivers, goes for almost all consumer electronics and auto's these days :hissyfit:) . I like simple, powerful and reliable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As a guy who had to unplug his HDMI connection every time he switched back and forth between cable and the dvd player. Being able to switch 4 different HDMI sources ROCKS!!!

What little I've garnered in the audiophile world is this. Buy a reciever that best matches what you need it to do. For me...I just wanted a receiver to have enough power to drive a 7.1 system with sub and be able to watch Hi-def sources (and accompanying audio formats) without switching a bunch of cables around.

Now my wifes favorite feature on the Onkyo 706 is the illuminated blue volume knob. :1eye:

·
Banned
601 Posts
A good amp section and a good preamp section are my first two priorities.

As for extra feature, preouts for all channels (but this is a part of a good preamp section with sufficiant voltage output for running any type of external amp(s)).

For icing, Audyssey MultEQ XT, good digital section with good parts and dacs, good bass management for all inputs separately, including the multichannel analog input, and a Pure Direct mode with great analog section.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Mine is reliability. I really don't care for all the features, I don't use very many and really resent being forced into buying a bunch of features I don't want (not just receivers, goes for almost all consumer electronics and auto's these days :hissyfit:) . I like simple, powerful and reliable.

Ditto that. I work on electronics all day and don't want to have to worry about fixing my own when I get home. I am the type that keeps things forever. One thing that I may want to have as a feature on a new unit if I needed one would be an ipod interface. I find that now that I have the iphone (yes, I have become an itard), I listen to more music than ever. I found this when I got a little samsung mp3 player, but having it integrated with the phone is far more useful. It may not be the best way to experience music, but it is sort of like the TV in the kitchen...it fits with life and that means that I expand my listening greatly, not only for music but for podcasts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I look for a receiver to first and forost have a very good power supply to drive both 8 and 4 ohm speakers without issue. After selling AV gear for over 13 years, I can attest that a beefy power supply is will always give you better sound.
Next is connectivity. Three or more HDMI inputs are a must and Preamp outs are very handy for upgrading to more powerfull amps.
Lastly, a good room eq can really improve your speaker/room interaction. Since most of us have less than perfect media rooms this has become a must-have feature.
My favorite is the Audyssey Multi-eq.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I go to upgrade my receiver (Onkyo 705) I will look for more HDMI inputs, On screen volume display, and Dynamic EQ.

There are probably many others I am not thinking of at the moment but those ones are key.

·
Banned
601 Posts
I look for a receiver to first and forost have a very good power supply to drive both 8 and 4 ohm speakers without issue. After selling AV gear for over 13 years, I can attest that a beefy power supply is will always give you better sound.
Next is connectivity. Three or more HDMI inputs are a must and Preamp outs are very handy for upgrading to more powerfull amps.
Lastly, a good room eq can really improve your speaker/room interaction. Since most of us have less than perfect media rooms this has become a must-have feature.
My favorite is the Audyssey Multi-eq.
Wow! Excellent. I agree 100% with you on all these features. Very well put, and from an experienced pro. :T

Best regards,

Bob

·
Banned
601 Posts
When I go to upgrade my receiver (Onkyo 705) I will look for more HDMI inputs, On screen volume display, and Dynamic EQ.

There are probably many others I am not thinking of at the moment but those ones are key.
Hi ggallaway,

Perhaps with the Onkyo TX-SR707 or the TX-NR807? :jiggy:
The TX-SR707 has 6 HDMI inputs, and the TX-NR807 has 7 of them (including the one on the front panel).
Plus, the TX-NR807 has the Ethernet Network port, for accessing these features.

* http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/news/2009/06/26/Onkyo-TX-SR707---TX-NR807-Launch/p1

* Pictures (TX-SR707): THX Select2 Plus and Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Volume.
1. http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/20412454_e5c98907b4.jpg
2. http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/20437614_146732213f.jpg
3. http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/20437619_7994b1b4a0.jpg

* Pictures (TX-NR807): THX Ultra2 Plus and Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Volume.
1. http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/20437610_8284709026.jpg
2. http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/20437624_bbcc82c9ec.jpg
3. http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/20437629_37cd6bdea4.jpg

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi ggallaway,

Perhaps with the Onkyo TX-SR707 or the TX-NR807? :jiggy:
The TX-SR707 has 6 HDMI inputs, and the TX-NR807 has 7 of them (including the one on the front panel).
Plus, the TX-NR807 has the Ethernet Network port, for accessing these features.

Cheers,

Bob
Thanks bob! Do you think the dynamic eq is a significant improvement for those of us that listen at lower volume levels? or is it just gimmiky? usually we are watching at -38db on the 705

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
usually we are watching at -38db on the 705
Wow thats soft :shh:, you must live in an apartment or something like that. I cant stand watching a movie that low. Mine is usually at Reference :hsd:.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well it is actually a single family home, but the kids are usually asleep upstairs when watching movies at night and the wife doesn't like it too loud. Now when she is gone......:devil:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love to have an AVR with the following:

-at least 5 HDMI Inputs
-2 HDMI Outputs
-Dolby Headphone
-HDMI Through mode that could pass signals with the receiver off (Standby).
-Dolby Volume or Audessy Dinamic Volume
-Integrated HD Radio Tuner
-Great Upconversion
-XLR Subwoofer Output (maybe never):nono:

Also all of this under $1K USD :dumbcrazy:

So maybe I'll have to wait a couple of more years before having my wish granted.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Thanks bob! Do you think the dynamic eq is a significant improvement for those of us that listen at lower volume levels? or is it just gimmiky? usually we are watching at -38db on the 705
Audyssey Dynamic EQ is a great feature for people like us that like to listen at lower volume level.
This is now a fact, very cool and valuable feature. No gimmick here my friend.
If you did not experienced it yet, you will certainly appreciate it when you do upgrade, guarantee.

Cheers,

Bob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts