Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished building 2 15" Dayton Titanics with 18" passive radiators in sono tubes for H/T use and was wondering what others who use the Reckhorn B-1 have their units set to as far as boost level and boost frequency? I use a Behringer EP-4000 for amplification, and have the subsonic level on the B-1 set at 18Hz for my HP filter, which brings up my other question, do you guys use the high cut or do you just use the settings in your AVR/Prepro to set the upper frequency range you want your subs to get? Right now I have both in use at 80Hz, my thought is that I do not need to use the high cut on the Reckhorn. Any thoughts, advise,and/or recommendations are appreciated.

Dan

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The B1 was tested and it's not accurate. For example with the subsonic filter set at 10 hz and the boost frequency set at 20 hz and the boost level set at the 12 o'clock postion the unit provides a 15 hz hi-pass filter. Try those settings and see how your subs perform. If they should bottom out increase the subsonic filter frequency to 12 hz and try again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too would like to know a little bit about these settings. My sub works really well, but I have noticed from time to time on certain movies it still tries to bottom out even though my hpf is set to approx 19-20hz. I am not using any boost @ all and the high cut is set around 100 on the Reckhorn, but set @ 80 on the receiver. I expect it would only make the response slope take a nose dive once it hits the hundred mark, so that shouldn't even really matter. right? Gain on the reckhorn is @ 12 o'clock, gain (or attenuation) on EP4000 is @ max (according to what other threads have told me). Would a boost @ say 25-30hz actually help the roll off at these lower frequencies? I know, I know it doesn't even sound right to me either, but sometimes things are quirky. If anyone has the capability of modeling something like this, or perhaps even running a few tests that would be absolutely awesome.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chkngreez, I have my B-1 gain maxed and the gain on the ep-4000 at 26. I turned off the high cut while playing a test tone thru the new subs and definitely got better sound without the high cut. I have the upper frq set to 80 thru my processor. The only problem I see with the 100Hz setting is that once you go above 80Hz with a sub you start to pick up the location of the sub, in other words you lose the non directionality aspect of the sub and can hear the location of the sub, but if that setting works for you, great! Right now I have my boost level at 12 o'clock and the boost frequency at about 30Hz, it sounds pretty good to me but I have only had the subs up and running since last night, so time will tell.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I got home last night, I played around with the boost settings a bit. I now have the boost somewhere in the 25 to 30hz range and the boost level @ 12 o'clock, hpf is still @ <20ish. I haven't tried turning the the high cut off yet or messed with the gain any, but that is mainly because the wife was @ home. She hates it when I start playing with settings on my toys. Anyway, I will do a little more experimenting and give some feedback. I will say that so far, I have noticed a nice difference in the sound while watching movies and music. The response doesn't sound like it has a huge hump or anything, but if I'm not mistaken when this build was modeled it seems like there was a slight dip around 25hz anyway. I don't have any equipment other than my ears, which are all that matters. The wife is pretty much indifferent. Could anyone tell us where the gain should be set?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well last night I picked up a serious hum thru the new subs, it was late and I wasn't going to mess with it till this morning. Today I unhooked everything from the B-1 and hooked the subs up to my DCX 2496 fired them back up and I still had the hum though much lower level. To make a long story short I figured out that the hum was coming from a fan that I use on the other side of the wall to blow across the back of my equipment stand for cooling. If I move the fan directly behind the equipment I get the hum, moving it to the side away from directly behind the equipment makes the hum disappear. It must be RFI from the fan motors. The reason I even got the B-1 was because at the time I was using the 2496 to run my other subs and it was operating in the mono mode so I couldn't use it for all 5 subs from different inputs. Well I reconfigured the 2496 so that I am running 5 subs from 3 different inputs now and it is sounding GREAT. If I need to I can set up a HP filter through the 2496 but as of now I haven't overdriven any of the subs. The bass is awesome!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bambino, well I rented and watched Clash of the Titans Monday night and the sound was beautiful, I have the subs pretty much dialed in now, and yes they put out some seriously good bass response, the house hasn't fallen down yet so I think I'll be good with it holding up. Three of the subs are basically part of the front speakers, they were designed with 2 channel music listening in mind, so they play really well down to about 26Hz, the two sonosubs are added in for H/T and are tuned to 21Hz.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been doing a little more tweaking on the b-1 since my last post. I now have the gain dialed up a bit. but the attenuation on the Behringer dialed down a few notches. The sub out is now set @ -6dB and so far it sounds much better than before. I have yet to put it through it's paces though, which was my main concern all along. Normal listening has always sounded good, but a little thin on certain movies, yet bass heavy movies would have a tendency to bottom out the sub. It's hard to find that perfect level where the gain doesn't override the effectiveness of the hpf which I'm trying to dial in @ 18hz. I won't have to worry about this much longer, in a few more weeks I'll be getting a TC sounds LMS-R to replace the Pioneer I'm using now. :T:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh that sounds sweet! and yes its always a balancing act with the gain settings. The changes you made are in line with the way I think about it too.....I do not like to max out the gain settings on either the bass management equipment or the amp. Thats where the dcx-2496 comes in nice and if you ever think of moving up from the B-1 chkngreez seriously consider the 2496. I can adjust the input and output signals from the unit which is important when you are using the ep-400 as your power amp for the subs. When you go with an unbalanced signal from the B-1 to the 4000 which likes a balanced input singal you lose signal strength. I run into the same thing supplying the signal from my preamps to the 2496 but I can adjust the signals and watch out for clipping too, because you don't want to have either input or output signal too high and cause the signal to clip. Glad to hear your getting things dialed in on your system!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts