Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.

I am new to the forum and have found alot of information on this site so far. I am new to projectors and need some help.

I have decided to go with a panasonic PT-AE4000U projector it will be used mostly for movies and video games with a little bit of TV. The setup will be going in the basement family room which is a multi purpose room not just a HT. The paint color is a medium brown color with white suspended ceiling. I have 16' from the front of the room to the back. I will most likely be wall mounting the projector on the back of the room. I want a motorized screen but I do not know what is a good brand to get or what color of screen or other features I should be looking for in a screen. I don't want to spend more than $1000.00 on the screen. Also what would a good sized screen be when sitting about 14' from the screen? Any recomendations or info is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I'd recommend a screen size of 110" or larger. Check out the Elite CineTension screens at Visual Apex. They should be under $1000. As for the screen color, If you plan on watching everything in the dark, go with the CineWhite material. If you like to have some lighting on, go with CineGrey.

If you don't go with the Elite, make sure whatever you get is tab tensioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for the reply.

Have you heard of the EluneVision Screens? I have been looking around and found a Canadian store that sells these and the price seems to be good as well.

Should I be looking for a screen with a higher gain of 1.8 - 2.4 or a screen with lower gain of about 1.2? I would like to be able to have some light on and still be able to have a decent picture.

I am trying to find a screen in Canada to avoid paying customs and duty charges.

Thank You.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thank You for the reply.

Have you heard of the EluneVision Screens? I have been looking around and found a Canadian store that sells these and the price seems to be good as well.

Should I be looking for a screen with a higher gain of 1.8 - 2.4 or a screen with lower gain of about 1.2? I would like to be able to have some light on and still be able to have a decent picture.

I am trying to find a screen in Canada to avoid paying customs and duty charges.

Thank You.
Be very careful with peak gain figures (usually just called gain). When a screen has a peak gain of greater than 1.0 there WILL be a decreased viewing angle (which may or may not be important to you).

The EluneVision screens with 1.8 and 2.4 peak gains are both glass-beaded screens and thus are retro-reflective (like road signs and license plates) so the brightest viewing will be directly in-line with the PJ so when using such screens the projector should be mounted as close to the level of the viewers eyes as possible to get the brightest image.

Info on EluneVision screen materials can be found here.While we haven't actually measured these screens for gain, I would take their 50° half-angle values for their glass-beaded screens with a grain of salt, typical half-gain angles on screens of this type are about half that (25° to 30°).

If at all possible try to see these screens in use before purchasing.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I forgot to take into effect your setup. :doh: At 110" you'd have 12fL with a 1.0 gain screen. With that number in mind I would not recommend going larger than a 110" screen or anything less than 1.0 gain.

If Elunevision grabs your eyes, call them up and ask for large samples. Any company worth dealing with will send you samples. :T Or if you have a local dealer, do as Harp says - go view them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info. I would like a larger viewing angel so I will stay away from the higher gain screens. I measured out the wall that I want to put the projector screen on and I am pretty sure I will go with a 110" screen maybe even one size down.

I have not seen these screens in person and don't have a local dealer but I will see if they will send me some sampels.

I am not stuck on this brand I just want to keep it around the $1000.00 budget for the screen and I would prefer to buy in Canada.

If I did go with the EluneVision screen should I go with the white screen with 1.2 gain or the grey screen with the 1.1gain? Or should I be looking for a higher gain screen that is not retro-reflective if they even make them.
I have pretty much zero experience with projectors but I am trying to learn. Thank you for all the help so far.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
If I did go with the EluneVision screen should I go with the white screen with 1.2 gain or the grey screen with the 1.1gain? Or should I be looking for a higher gain screen that is not retro-reflective if they even make them.
I have pretty much zero experience with projectors but I am trying to learn. Thank you for all the help so far.
I'd stick with the white. If they are like every other manufacturer, the gain numbers are not what they say they are. I should give them a call some time and get some of their stuff. :scratch:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
It appears we have been remiss in our host duties Bayside, a belated Welcome to the fourm! :wave:

I know it's a lot to ask, seriously, but the more you read in the Screen Forum Index here the more you will learn about a number of topics associated with home theaters.

At their basic levels, both projectors and screens are fairly simple. One unit projects a beam of light and the other reflects it. Light projection and reflection must follow physical laws.

In a nutshell, most white commercial screens have a peak gain very close to 1.0 and are also close to being a totally specularly flat reflector (also known as a "perfect diffuser" or "Lambertian" surface) which reflects light the same intensity in all directions. If the screen is darkened to a shade of gray the reflective characteristics don't change, but since the screen now absorbs a certain amount of the light that strikes it the peak gain will decrease to below 1.0 (which is not the huge detriment that another screen forum says it is).

Many times a gray screen can have it's peak gain brought back to 1.0 (or above) by adding reflectivity to the screen either in the form of surface gloss (a little goes a very long way) or adding reflective particles to the screen surface. When this is done the screen no longer reflects light equally in all directions, but now will appear brighter the closer it is viewed on-axis with the PJ. If done in moderation this can result in a good usable screen, but if overdone it will lead to the screen hot spotting with a visible "bright or hot spot" in the image.

BTW, the term "half angle" is the off-axis viewing angle at which the image brightness is one half that when it is viewed on-axis with the PJ.

Retro-reflection follows different reflectance laws than specular reflection and so doesn't hot spot like a specularly reflective screen of the same peak gain would do, but they still have viewing cone issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd stick with the white. If they are like every other manufacturer, the gain numbers are not what they say they are. I should give them a call some time and get some of their stuff. :scratch:
If I do decide to get this brand of screen I will be sure to take pictures of my setup once it's done.

I definatly have more reading to do before I make my final decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts