Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hmm, I'll look at that as a possibiliy... there's a seller on Amazon that has one for $460 shipped
I know that Jungle jack will vouch for my findings on this as well if you want another opinion.

I'll have to research that a bit...not sure what a "surround mode" would do other than alter the intent of whomever mastered the mix
EDIT: OK, I see that it tries to compensate for limitations in the physical layout of your room. Interesting.
Yes, It makes it sound truly like you are in the large theatre that the film is originally mastered for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all the advice; I managed to find a used Onkyo 805 for $340 shipped :T

...now to find some speakers to go with it :spend:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Awesome deal! You know that receiver still sells new for as much as $800. It is by far the best receiver ever made for under $1500 and rivalled many receivers that cost twice as much. Ive had mine for 3 years now and its still working flawlessly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
tonyvdb said:
Awesome deal! You know that receiver still sells new for as much as $800. It is by far the best receiver ever made for under $1500 and rivalled many receivers that cost twice as much. Ive had mine for 3 years now and its still working flawlessly.
You might be biased...... ;)

Awesome choice man.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all,

In short, I'm looking for a bare-bones receiver with 7 high power amplified outputs and as high audio quality as I can get without spending four figures.
... Any advice is appreciated!
I second anyone who suggests the AV7005 pre/pro setup. Fantastic setup and most bang/$ IMO. Anthem is another great brand to look at, especially the MRX500, but for the price, the Marantz is hard to beat. If you consider that the processor alone is the same size as a AVR, you know you're getting quality. Give it a shot, worth sampling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I second anyone who suggests the AV7005 pre/pro setup. Fantastic setup and most bang/$ IMO. Anthem is another great brand to look at, especially the MRX500, but for the price, the Marantz is hard to beat. If you consider that the processor alone is the same size as a AVR, you know you're getting quality. Give it a shot, worth sampling.
Thanks for chiming in, but as I mentioned above, I ended up finding a great deal on a used Onkyo TX SR805. So far, it's proven to have more than enough overhead for my MartinLogan setup (2x Vantage, 2x Script, Motif Center). I just need to upgrade to a decent sub... looking at picking up a Submersive ;)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts