Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't see much discussion on this.

I'm still debating on whether to go 5.1 or stay stereo.

What are some recommended stereo and surround receivers/processors for use with BFD/REW?

Thanks guys.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Hi Luke; welcome to the Shack.

Most any receiver or preamp will work; those of us with BFDs have a wide cross-section of systems.

The only requirement is that it have a preamp-level output that will feed the BFD. Pretty much all 5.1/7.1 receivers and preamps have this. If you're using a stereo receiver or preamp, it too must have preamp outs. If it doesn't have bass management, you can do that through the BFD by assigning the right filters to cut your signal as desired.

So -- pretty much anything that has a pre-out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
here is my 2 cents worth....

I think Behringers will work best with preamps- processors with XLR balanced outputs. I have seen a lot of posts referring to the lower level output of regular consumer gear... and mis-matched levels and hence the noise.

proper connections between the pre-pro and Behringers will solve this issue.

Also ..... how do people connect a unbalanced output on a RCA jack to the balanced XLR input of Behringers?

I guess you have to use a custom cable....right ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was actually one of my concerns, preamp voltage.

I'd prefer not to use a Cleanbox if at all possible. Modding one isn't too hard, but it is one more thing that can be avoided with a good receiver.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I think Behringers will work best with preamps- processors with XLR balanced outputs. I have seen a lot of posts referring to the lower level output of regular consumer gear... and mis-matched levels and hence the noise.

proper connections between the pre-pro and Behringers will solve this issue.

Also ..... how do people connect a unbalanced output on a RCA jack to the balanced XLR input of Behringers?

I guess you have to use a custom cable....right ?
The BFD accepts both balanced and unbalanced connections - both on the input and output. It also accepts consumer voltage levels and professional voltage levels.

The BFD is a unity gain device, so is essentially transparent with respect to voltage levels as long as maximums are respected. Problems occur when users connect a professional level subwoofer amp to a standard consumer level receiver. It has nothing to do with the BFD. The problem is easily solved with a line amp though. It has little to do with good or poor receivers. It's simply a matter of standard voltage levels that are used in consumer gear being mixed with pro equipment.

To connect a BFD, some people prefer to make or purchase custom cables, but most simply use this adaptor.

brucek

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a stereo preamp with no sub-out. My preamp outs go to my subwoofer. The crosssover is part of the sub electronics. A low level signal then goes to my mains amp, and the subwoofer speaker level comes out of the sub amp to the sub.

1) So if I'm understanding correctly, I must insert the BFD on my preamp out in order to get it in front of the sub. By doing so, it will unavoidably be operating on my mains signal. Will it impact the sound quality in my mains? Its another connection/processor, so it must, but how much? Can someone please enlighten me?

2) Should I have bought a DCX2496 instead? And if I do, will it also perform the room correction function the BFD does?

Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Will it impact the sound quality in my mains?
Yes, and that's not the best way to connect the system.
Simply use Y-adapters at the preamps left and right channels.
One side of the Y's feeds the BFD and the other side feeds the mains amp.
This keeps the BFD away from the mains signal.

Should I have bought a DCX2496 instead? And if I do, will it also perform the room correction function the BFD does?
No, you don't really need anything other than REW to measure the low frequencies and a BFD would suffice.

brucek

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

Check my understanding again, please:
If I send the preamp signal separately I would lose the high pass portion of the crossover to my mains. (I know not many modern subs do this, but my old one does)

Don't know or not how much of a sonic difference this would make, but better probably than the BFD in line.

Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts