Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
That does look like a nice circle jig. The only things I'll say against it is that it's a lot more expensive and would be worthless if you ever decided to go with a different brand of router.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought this Triton 2 1/4 hp plunge router ... it came with a bunch of accesories ,it even had a 1/2 straight bit.

I made my own 3/8 acrylic circle cutting attachement..

·
Registered
556 Posts
I ordered up some MLCS bits today... I got the Katana bits where available.
I used a $5 Woodcraft 1/2" shank 1/4" x 3/4" bit to cut the holes for my sub. The flush trim bit and roundover bits were ... you guessed it. $5 Woodcraft bits. The quality is great, but I only buy them when they are on sale for $5.

I'm about to buy myself a set of Whiteside roundover bits this week. Those will never touch MDF. I only use throw away bits on MDF.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I've never routed on MDF. Does it really chew up the bits?

Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
MDF is very easy on bits and blades..it is easy to work on....does not take screws on the ends very well... but conventional woodworkers yellow glue is excellent on it.

One drawback is the dust..make sure you protect yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Never thought of it that way...I have been using MDF for a long time....and I don't find that my carbide tools are getting as dull as when I 'm cutting hardwoods like maple and purpleheart.There is considerable less strain on routers and Table saw motors as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used to buy Whiteside bits from routerbits.com on a regular basis. Since they are based in Atlanta, and because I used to live there, it was really great receiving my orders the next day.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts