Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a recommended smoothing to apply to the measurement curve prior to generating room correction filters?

For example, 1/48 smoothing can produce filters that have very sharp peaks and nulls - which, when applied in practice, may actually cause new problems in room response.

So, is there a "best" smoothing setting for generating filters - 1/12, 1/6 or 1/3? Or is it all room dependent?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Is there a recommended smoothing to apply to the measurement curve prior to generating room correction filters?

For example, 1/48 smoothing can produce filters that have very sharp peaks and nulls - which, when applied in practice, may actually cause new problems in room response.

So, is there a "best" smoothing setting for generating filters - 1/12, 1/6 or 1/3? Or is it all room dependent?

I generally start at 1/6 then look at the others.

Also dependent on your equalizer, can you state the brand, model and octave?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Are we talking about subwoofer equalization or full-range equalization?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I generally start at 1/6 then look at the others.

Also dependent on your equalizer, can you state the brand, model and octave?
Filters generated with 1/6 smoothing sound pretty good to me too.

I'm exporting the filter impulse and running in a convolution plugin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are we talking about subwoofer equalization or full-range equalization?
Full range (~40-10K). I'm trying to make the best of my studio monitors/room situation for audio mixing purposes. I need some room treatment to attack the peaks and nulls but my goal right now is to gently flatten the overall spectrum the best I can with the REW filters. Nothing too drastic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The primary purpose of treatments is to reduce reflections and comb filtering. They won’t fully eliminate peaks and nulls, so you may need equalization after they’re applied.
Yes, my plan is to use a bit of each to "tune" my room.

BTW, it only takes a few dB of damping sometimes to significantly reduce deep nulls caused by comb filtering reflections. I'm finding that REW is then really good at "filling in" what's left using gentle filters.

Thanks for the links!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts