Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used REW on Windows for some time, but I've also started putting together an active stereo system controlled by a minimal install of Ubuntu Server. Since I assume REW on Linux requires a graphical interface, is there a way to simply record a frequency sweep through the terminal which I can scp over to my Windows machine?

My thought is that I could save a log sweep from the generator menu and play that, but I don't know how to appropriately record the response to import into REW. I'd also like to incorporate a timing reference to ensure everything is lining up properly, but that may be too much to hope for.

Thanks!

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Sure, use the offline measurement process if you have a means of capturing the sweep, otherwise start REW on the Windows machine, click Measure, choose acoustic timing reference and select the check box "Wait for timing reference", start measuring (REW should show "Waiting for timing reference") then play back the sweep on the Linux box.

P.S. Make sure you use the same sample rate on both machines.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, John. I didn't realize it was that easy since I though REW measurements could only be done when REW generates the audio. That'll let me cut out the step of having to transfer the recording back to my Windows machine. Moreover, this is easier than before since I no longer have to deal with cable runs from my PC to the preamp and to the USB mic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts