Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Mitsubishi WD 57734 DLP (2yrs and 3months old)… A few months ago every once in a while over a three month period the TV would stop working and the RED lamp light on the front of the TV would light up. Restarting the TV would appear to reset things and no issues for weeks. I did see after entering the Serv code recently that the TV has 9,800 hours on the bulb and the bulb had been getting dim over the past few months. I ordered a new bulb and replaced it a few days ago – all went well. All has been working fine – TV is bright and crystal clear again but the shutting off and red indicator had come on again a few times untill today. This morning the TV will only stay on a few minutes and the red lamp indicator comes on and the set shuts down. I do see some posts on reset procedures and reset buttons but did not see my specific model of TV on the forum with this issue so I wanted to ask for advice before I spend a “C” note on a service charge. The last time I had the “Authorozed” service rep come out for a prior Mitsu TV he said I needed an entire board replaced which would have cost over $800. I found another technician who replaced a small transistor on the board for about $250 and I was back in business. Anyway – I welcome troubleshooting advice.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Did you buy the lamp from Mitsubishi or from another vendor?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
My guess would be the lamp. I have heard and seen many of the replacement lamps fail in these sets. You could have a bad ballast, but since the lamp lasted so long before, my guess is that the ballast is fine. Get the lamp from Mitsubishi. If it fails, you will likely need a ballast.

What vendor did you use? Specific information is much more helpful to others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have checked the blink code and it is giving me 3-4 (bulb)... TV runs about 1/2 hour.. I will try to reseat bulb in back of TV and then if that does not work insert the original and see how that one does... Will report back.

The company I got the repleacement from is through Amazon - Discount DLP Lamps

Edit - Reseated new bulb - TV still turned off in about 20 minutes... Reinstalled old bulb - TV working fine. I ordered a NEW OSRAM OEM - it should arrive on Friday - BTW - There was a number on the New bulb - 128400 with an upside down "v' in front of the number - not sure who the Manufacturer is... Will report back when New OE bulbs arrives and is installed..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, sorry to jump into your thread as my first post, but i have the same model tv, have had it about the same amount of time, and within the last couple of weeks, mine also started flashing the lamp light. as well as, shutting off after about 20 mins, and letting it sit for a bit, it would restart and be fine for awhile. tech came out to house today (im lucky, i know the local repair guy) and he said my problem was the lamp over heating, due to the build up of dust, dirt, and other "junk" in the cooling passages. when he pulled the lamp out of the set, he pointed out where the fans were, and you couldnt even tell there were fans in there, it was bad. compressed air initially wasnt enough, he had to vaccuum out the areas first, and then he was able to blow the remainder out. he also cleaned the "lens" and the mirror inside as well. he didnt even check to see how many hours were on the lamp. after all was said and done, i was able to play about 3 hrs on the PS3 before i had to head to work. no shutdown problems since the "clean-out" was performed. so i just thought id add this lil bit of info, and maybe help someone else out. as a side note, what initially got me here, i was trying to get a rough idea how much a replacement lamp was, and where was a good place to get one.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
No need to be sorry. You made a great contribution to the thread.

There are vendors for lamps listed in the Vendor database that can be accessed at the top of any forum page, right in the middle. If you list them you will get the option to sort into categories and Lamps is one of those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Results are in.. First off lcaillo - THANK YOU!! I would have been really ticked off if the service tech came out and determined all I needed was a bulb which would have cost including parts and the house call at least $350.

Anyway... I have done lots of research on this whole bulb and blinking light issue I was having with the Mitsubishi.. I did discover the ballasts are matched very precisely with the bulbs in many sets (Mitsubishi especially). What I thought I was ordering as a OE replacement turned out to a no name POS - so be sure what you are purchasing is OSRAM for this set.

The Original Equipment (OE) bulb and ballast from OSRAN/Sylvania are electronically matched as one system to work togeather..Actually some of the features these sets have are actually features developed in conjunction with OSRAM/Sylvania. The actual lumens, color temp, firing voltages and functiality of the entre system depend on the lamp and it's respective match to the TV (actually the balast for the most part).
lcaillo's experience was right-on as I received the OSRAM exect replacement today and installed it into the existing holder and whamo the TV works perfectly, no flashing lights, no shutdowns, incredible color, much better images, dark detail and very even color tones compared to the no-name bulb that I previously tried that would only run about 20 muniutes before the TV would shut down.

Not much is posted anywhere on the web for the WD-57734 and its bigger brothers WD-65734 and WD-73734 as these sets are only about 2 to 3 years old. If you search and found this thread I hope it helped you. So you may ask where did I end up getting the bulb... I got the REAL replacement OSRAM - the one designed for the TV from replacementlightbulbs.com for $108 + Shipping!! They also have the modified version that fits perfectly into the existing housing with no modification required (which is requred in some of these sets).

Please do not make the mistake I did....just go for the OSRAM bulb, install it into the housing yourself and you just saved over $125 over the Mitsubishi price with no risk of malfuntion or mismatching with the ballast that can trigger blinking lights and shut downs. The true reality is the OSRAM only cost me just a little more than the generic one!! I would also encourage purchasing the bulb from a company that sells many bulbs and is in the business as a supplier of all sorts of lamps and bulbs. This is not a commercial for where I purchased the lamp but if they are in business ONLY to sell projector lamps with all the counterfits and knock offs out there proceed with caution to the Projector lamp only suppliers. If they have a full line they probably are a certified distributor and sell the "Real" product unless they guarantee they are selling the brand you want.

Also, Wildcat.. Thanks for the tip... This was not an issue with mine however - actually I was a bit surprised there was no real dust build up at all just a little on the fan that I cleared with a shot of air.. My set is in a wide open area that permits lots of room circulation..:D

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts