Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jst painted a 106" BO cloth screen with a Henry based BW mix. The overall picture quality is awesome and the blacks and whits have never been better. 99% of the scenes are OK. However, I have had some issues with scenes where someone is wearing a red shirt in an indoor scene... It appears to have some hot spotting on their shirt...Does not happen on any other color.

I am using a NEC LT240K. I cleaned the color wheel today and did not recalibrate. I will attempt that and see if this goes away. Just wanted to know if anyone had a similar issue.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Did you notice the problem before you cleaned your color wheel?

If you have already sent your paint samples to mech don't worry about this, but if you haven't, include a card with just the HE558 on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I re-calibrated the PJ. The problem is present.

It happens only on bright scenes. When there is a spotlight or sunlight on a red / orange color, or a close up of a face in a bright scene, there's a severe glow more like a hot spot.

I did not notice it yesterday, although I was watching the Steelers game and there were not any such close ups or spotlights.

This afternoon, after cleaning the color wheel, I watched TV for a few hours and I did not see anything peculiar.

I was watching House, NCIS etc and there was no issue. I was watching Superstars of dance a few minutes ago, and when they showed a close up of the host, it was unwatchable.

I calibrated for brightness, contrast and colors using DVE and the basic directions were followed correctly...

Harp: I have not sent the samples yet. I will do as suggested...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I played with contrast settings... I have to reduce it to 45 (previously at 130) to make the "shine/gleam/hot spot" go away. This makes me lose my whites and everything has a gray feeling. I also noticed that I am getting this on yellowish orange colors...

I am going to let the projector settle and maybe I will reopen and look at the sensors and wheel again...this weekend...

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Does the problem show up at all when doing the DVE calibration?

There are individual "slides" of colors (I think they are in chapter 14, but not sure) that range from a low percentage color (dim) to 100% color (bright). After returning the PJ to the calibrated settings, try viewing these images and see which ones, if any, show the problem.

Also, if it is possible to do so, please take a photo of the screen when the problem occurs, and post it to this thread. Just setting your digital camera to it's "auto" setting would probably be good enough, but you might have to use a tripod to get a clear photo.

This problem has never been reported before and we want to solve it as much as you do. :yes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea Harpmaker.. I will try this tonight...Hopefully DVE color screens will show this...The problem is with Dish HD, and I do not have a DVR in the basement to freeze the scene and take a photo. I will find a suitable scene from a bright DVD and try to capture...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved: Red push with black widow ???

This had me all bothered and losing sleep. So today I went down and looked at Food Network TV and Paula Deen had never "shined" like this. Frustrated as all get-out, I popped the DVE disk again and looked at the color patterns... WHOA !!! There was no RED... It was a "shimmering" orange glow !!! Here's the problem I thought... I looked through the filters and the color and hue settings were way off....

I calibrated the color and had to bring the RED back and switched to SAT TV and VOILA ....There was Paula all right and the tomato sauce looked really good in red...

I can't put my finger on it....I swore that I calibrated after I painted with BW, but cleaning the color wheel must have shifted things around...

In any case....I'm a happy customer again...especially since I don't have to :spend::spend: for repairs etc...

Sorry for the false alarm...and thanks for a great product

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perfect Picture

Here are some screen shots from today. DVD Player is Momitsu 880. Projector is LT240K.

This last one is from my Dish HDTV while watching ER. The screen looks gorgeous but I cannot pause the image....Hence the blurry image...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts