Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before doing anything to the more public parts of my house (my HT/Living Room), I thought I'd experiment with some home-made absorbers in an echo-y workout room in my basement. I was thinking of using a combination of cellulose insulation, cotton batting, and EPS foam (from packages) that I had left over from when this house was built.

With the goal of making the structure light, and assuming the basic starting point of a 4' x 2' x 4" rectangle, I was thinking I'd glue balsa to strips of the EPS to make an outside frame, with additional strips of EPS as a supportive grid within the frame. Then I'd fill the grid with cellulose and finally line the top and back with compressed cotton batt, glued down to the EPS grid and cover the surface with fabric (don't know what yet).

While the result isn't particularly critical, I'm having a hard time figuring out the net effect of increasing densities of the cellulose and necessarily of the overlying cotton batt (it would need to be compressed more to hold back the cellulose without bulging). I was thinking of just starting with--not fluffed up but not compressed--but that seems a bit lazy. Any thoughts on, for general echo control, what kind of density I should shoot for?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I can find a decent reference for a lb/ft3 for the cellulose, and I'm pretty sure it'll be somewhere in the range you stated for the fiberglass and mineral wool.

The harder part will be figuring out how to achieve a 4" boundary gap. Almost all of the walls in that area are solid-SIP panels. It also begs the question whether the EPS grid of the absorber will act as a boundary or as a small membrane that would assist with low frequency attenuation.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cellulose was not sourced for this project. I have a couple of bails just sitting in the garage after filling my roof with it. Right now make a nice cushy stool when I'm working in there, but I was trying to think of something fun to do with them. It sounds like I'd be better off just using the cotton.

I thought of using the EPS because, aligned right, it could add some structure without adding much weight. Crumbled it has little purpose and will get everywhere. Basically anything that would serve the same purpose would be reflective.

Thanks for the idea on the brackets. Sometimes some really obvious solutions never fall into my head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts