Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon an old idea from 4 years ago in a 3D model of my old room that included a projector setup and a mirror that bounced the projected image to extend the available throw distance and thus increased the size of the image in confined areas.

Setting aside
a) Keystone distortion
b) The Flipped image
is this a plausible idea?

G

·
0 Posts
I'm sure you can find a way to make it work. Prolly the hardest way to solve a simple solution. You can buy short throw projectors. Main issue is they are all reworked business projectors and last time I checked, they are all 16:10 instead of 16:9. That might change for the next gen of short throw projectors, cause they seem to have a demand. Most of them are branded as gaming projectors, but I would try that instead of using mirrors. Even with a mirror, you might need a projector that is compatible to be a rear projector as well as a front. Would that get the image right? I think so...

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Mirrors would work fine, but be SURE they are first-surface (AKA front-surface) mirrors or the image will blur from refraction.

I think most PJ's can reverse the image since this is needed for rear-projection.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Absolutely will work. I have not seen a projector that wont flip and reverse the image and a good quality mirror will work just fine. Remember that in some ways a rear projection TV is just that and uses a mirror to project the image. I saw a setup once in a church where they had to use a rear projection screen and mirror as there was only 5 ft of space behind the screen so they mounted the projector to the left of the screen and used a mirror at a 45 degree angle, it worked very well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts