Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The simplest way to put this, is; you know how some subs have the high pass & in/outs to send signal passively to active sub, and then continue on to speakers?
Ok, now, is there any way to do that with a Dayton SPA500? It does not have outs or a high pass - so I know I cannot do it directly from the sub... but, is there something I could build or buy that would allow for the same type of function as described above?

I have a couple SPA500's laying around and would like to utilize one for "Zone 3" ... where I run speaker wire to my zone 3 speakers from the receiver. There is no way to preamp out to Zone 3, so I need to do it at the Speaker Wire level. Can I put RCA's on the Speaker wires, and splice off of them with a Harrison Labs FMOD in-line Crossover? :scratch:

Thanks for any and all assistance and guidance!

·
Premium Member
567 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,673 Posts
The simplest way to put this, is; you know how some subs have the high pass & in/outs to send signal passively to active sub, and then continue on to speakers?
Ok, now, is there any way to do that with a Dayton SPA500? It does not have outs or a high pass - so I know I cannot do it directly from the sub... but, is there something I could build or buy that would allow for the same type of function as described above?

I have a couple SPA500's laying around and would like to utilize one for "Zone 3" ... where I run speaker wire to my zone 3 speakers from the receiver. There is no way to preamp out to Zone 3, so I need to do it at the Speaker Wire level. Can I put RCA's on the Speaker wires, and splice off of them with a Harrison Labs FMOD in-line Crossover? :scratch:

Thanks for any and all assistance and guidance!
What you need is a "high level" (speaker) input to "low level" (line/RCA) converter. Yes, some plate sub amps have them built in, but not the SPA500. Something like this

cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you need is a "high level" (speaker) input to "low level" (line/RCA) converter. Yes, some plate sub amps have them built in, but not the SPA500. Something like this

cheers
This looks right, except of the wattage limitations... What about a Speaker Switcher... Would it work to send the full signal to the Subwoofers rca inputs and just use the subwoofer crossover?

Sent From My S4 Via HTS App

·
Super Moderator
1,673 Posts
This looks right, except of the wattage limitations...
80w rms (more peak) is plenty unless you're running a night club in Zone 3.

What about a Speaker Switcher...
For?

Would it work to send the full signal to the Subwoofers rca inputs and just use the subwoofer crossover?
Yes. However keep in mind that you main speakers in the zone would also be fed a full range signal from the receiver.

cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts