Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to post this here. I just replaced the color wheel in my Samsung HLR6167. I put everything back together and the lamp won't light. I first get a green lamp light blinking then I get the other two lights that say Stand by/temp and one other light. It sounds like TV tries too reset and the same thing happens. My lamp was working fine before I installed the color wheel.
Thanks in advance
Frank

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
First verify all of your connections, and verify that the switch on the door is closing. Why did you replace the CW? Was the set operating before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The color wheel was making a buzzing sound for about 3 months. Then the picture came on and then it shut off and the three lights on the front came on. I still had lamp on for the blue screen. I called CS and they said it sounds like the CW so I changed it. I checked all the connections and the lamp switch. Is the color wheel supposed to start first and then the lamp. I am a electrician and tested for power to the lamp and I am not getting any voltage to the wires going to the lamp. I am not even getting any voltage to the wires going to the ballast circuit board. If there is anything else you think I should check let me know.
Thanks
Frank

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
As an electrician you should know not to test voltages unless you have some idea what they should be. The voltage going to the lamp can br pretty high in startup and depending on what kind of meter you have could damage it or you. Yes, the color wheel has to start before the lamp will get its enable signal. Chances are you have a connector not seated well or damaged a wire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ilcaillo, I have been reading through a few of the Samsung posts and cannot help getting annoyed by people who ask for help and never reply with the outcome of the the help you gave them. Don't they know that if people would say how they got there TV fixed it would help other people that have the same problem. It wasn't too much trouble to take the time to ask for help but it is too much trouble to take a few minuets to post what they did to solve there problem. It would save you and people like you who try to help alot of time. Sorry for the rant.
Frank

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check the color wheel installation again. I checked for power with my tick tracer it just tell me if there is power there. I will try to check it this morning. Is there anyway the color wheel can not be seated right and the wheel is not able to turn? I went in straight and looks level. I will let you know what I find.
Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I fixed it it was the ribbon wire from the CW that was in backwards. That is the only cable that can be put in either way. For anybody else having this problem when you install the ribbon connector make sure when you plug it in that the contacts face the front of the TV. Now I still get the Timer, Lamp and Stand By / Temp lights flashing and the picture goes out after about thirty seconds.
Thanks
Frank

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Glad you got it working.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The same three lights keep flashing. Level two tech support was useless. I need to know if the lamp goes on and shuts off in about thirty seconds is it the lamp or a ballast or one of the boards. Tech support could not tell me because I wasn't a Samsung Tech. What does that mean? They said they didn't want to tell me it was a bad bulb if it was something else. I told them they just had mereplace the color wheel and that wasn't the problem. Will the lamp light and go out if the lamp is going? Should I change the ballast?

Thanks
Frank

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be a lamp, could be a ballast, could be a DMD board. Start by replacing the lamp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just received the new lamp. It was the lamp all the time. I had to replace the color wheel because it was making a noise. It was tough being without the main TV for over a week. I just seem to have one problem now it may be me looking for something to be wrong but, the picture does not look as sharp. Is there an adjustment or is the color wheel not right. I will wait till my son comes home and let him have a look and see what he thinks.
Thanks for all the help
Frank

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There is a focus adjustment on the lens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Below is a picture of the focus controll on a HLR5067W (what the finger is pointing at). It maybe in the same location on your set.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it is working fine. I guess I was just expecting something to be wrong. Do you adjust that with the set on? It looks hard to reach when it is in the TV. There is no way I could have moved that adjustment when I was putting the CW in is there?
Thanks again for all the help
Frank

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
No, you can't adjust it by accident, but they are often not optimally adjusted form the factory. If it was on the edge and you positioned the light engine slightly differently when reinstalling it, you will need to touch up the focus. These cabinets are plastic and not rigid, so it is common to get slight shifts when assembling and dissassembling them.

C

·
0 Posts
Did you say you put the copper ribbon in with the connector side facing the front of the TV?
almost every site and from my own TV, has this ribbon as bare side facing the TV rear! I dont know how yours is reversed.

Im having an isue with my HLN617w.

For about 10 months I was getting a loud screeching noise that got louder and louder over time. until a month ago, the screen just went dead and the 3 dreaded lights of death appeared. my 1st reaction was the "bulb" went.. i called DM for a replacement and they suggested i replace the color wheel 1st as that can stop the bulb from lighting when it goes...ok, so last night i replaced the CW. used the new wires from the new color wheel (copper ribbon contacts facing back of TV). sure enough when i power it up now, i only get a single blinking green light..I can hear the fans spinning so I know there is power..I opened the side while the power was on and pulled out the bulb housing.. i can see the color wheel, but it isnt spinning (should it be spinning if i opened the cover to look or will it stop?)...i didnt see any light from the bulb either.. sooooo if my bulb is blown, shouldnt i get 3 blinking lights? if the new color wheel is bad, shouldnt I also see 3 blinking lights? Doesnt look like I missed putting any wires back in place. I actually only removed 4 of them while replacing.....anyone have any ideas??

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Check your assembly. If the color wheel does not spin up the light engine never sends the lamp enable to the ballast, so it cannot start.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you notice how the ribbon cable came out?? If so did you put it back the same way? My cable was facing the front. As I said it was the bulb also. Good luck
Frank

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I do not recall. It is not a bit of info that registers. You put it in the same way that it came out and if you can't remember, you look at which side of the connector that the pins are on. If you get it backwards it won't hurt anything on one of these, just won't make connection and won't work.

C

·
0 Posts
Ok so I sort of have mine fixed! I read an article saying that there is a certain blue and white cable that easily comes lose when re assembling your TV. Sure enough the wire was out. its a wire that goes from the most inner board on the left side of the TV into the projector board. its basically a power cable...Needless to say I plugged it in and the single blinking light goes away after a few seconds and BINGO we have tv!!!!!
Now for the second issue.. its ben working fine for two days straight.. 10 minutes ago the tv suddenly Shut itself off and the dreaded 3 blinking lights started to flash again!! my first thought is the color wheel i just installed only lasted 2 days!!!

long story short, i pressed the power button again and the TV came on just fine again!! is this weird??
obviously the Lamp is good, the new color wheel still works, so why would it have shut off momentarily and started to flash? could something else be going bad?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts