Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a google search on how to repair my velodyne ct 150 when I came across a post on this forum. I'm a newb when it comes to DIY projects so I'm wondering how easy or complicated it is to replace the built in amp.

The person who replied suggested using a 300W BASH® Subwoofer Amplifier from oaudio. This got me to thinking in a more is better sort of way. Could I get away with using a more powerful amplifier, say a 500w? If so are there any pitfalls or warnings I need to be aware of, like setting my carpets on fire?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cryingday

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply gents.

Frank,
I tried looking over parts expresses replacement plates in the 250w range and they were all discontinued. The closest that I could find was the Dayton Audio MCA2250E 2.1 Channel Class D Plate Amplifier. Am I missing something?

Mike,
Thanks for the heads up against going 500w. It was just a passing thought, lol. How hard/dangerous is it for a novice to replace the 2 resistors in the bash 300w you mentioned? I'm trying not get myself killed and am so far succeeding. Barely...

cryingday

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Mike.

First thanks for your help. I have only taken the subwoofer in to a local repair shop and their diagnosis was that the amp has gone bad. Since, they asked me how to spell Velodyne, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their work so I took back possession of the CT-150.

I know someone who's very well versed with the use of a soldering iron so no problems on that front.

As far as what shape the drivers are in, I don't know. I can remove the amp plate any time and check. As far as I could tell from what the repair shop explained to me when they took a look at the subwoofer, everything looked good.

What should I look for when I remove the amp plate? If there is any deterioration, what would be some obvious signs?

Again thanks for helping out a complete newb.

Day

P.S. I was looking through Parts Express and found Yung SD300-6 300W Class D Subwoofer Amp Module with 6 dB @ 30 Hz and Yung SD300 300W Class D Subwoofer Amp Module No Boost. Could I use the Yung SD300 with 6db @30Hz boost? Or is the one without boost better for someone w/ almost no experience soldering stuff?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi Wardsweb. Glad to see a fellow Texan here.

I'm, unfortunately for the purposes of this thread, in Ft. Worth.

I pulled off the front grill and found the surround in perfect order. I'm such a new member to this forum that I don't know if I can post a picture of what I see. To clarify as best as I can without pictures, I see a round, 1/2 dome in the center of the front face. It has no/zero dents and the surrounding area is smooth as well.

From what I see of the subwoofer's exterior and from what the repair shop told me when I tried to get them to repair my subwoofer, I believe that the problem lies with the built in amp. When I bought the thing 10 years or so ago, I connected it to my home theater receiver and let it sit. I've hardly ever moved it so the exterior is about as pristine as can be.

Thanks for your help.

Day

edit 11/06/12
While browsing through Mike P.'s sig links, I found a picture that best describes what I saw when I took off the front grill. It's in post #29, picture #2 of this thread : http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/creative-sound-solutions/5774-dual-sdx15-project-3.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me see if I understood you both correctly:

I should go with the Bash amp because it can be modded to fix/fit any problems specific to the CT150? That way I don't waste money on an amp that I can't use?

Thanks so much for being very patient with my noobness.

Day

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi bgarcia17! Welcome to the discussion.

I'm very curious where you read about someone powering his CT150 with an external amp. I like to keep my options open.

I did indeed inquire with Velodyne as to how much to repair my sub. The quote I received was $230 to service the amp, $406 + shipping for a replacement amp. And now you know why I'm on this forum seeking advice.

I will get cracking on getting the measurements. Please advise me where to start the measurements. I assume you want me to remove the amp (i.e. Unscrew it) from the cabinet and measure the amp's dimensions. I could also, to the best of my abilities, try to measure the remaining room within the enclosure.

As always, thanks for your help.

Day

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.