Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an Energy Microstar 12" sub that needs a new amplifier. The enclosure is in great shape and physically the driver looks to be good. I would like to reuse these two parts if possible. I got this in non working condition. I put an ohm meter across the driver and it measured 17 ohms. I'm not sure if that is an indication that the driver is bad. I was expecting something in the neighborhood of 4 ohms. If the driver is good, I'd like suggestion for a replacement amp. the enclosure is a sealed, cube box about 30 liters in size minus the amp. I have been looking at the 500W Bash amps from PE and OAudio.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
407 Posts
What little information I could find says the Microstar was a servo based design. It likely has a fair bit of custom EQ built into the amp, possibly even a Linkwitz Transform circuit. Translation, you will probably be fairly disappointed using a generic plate amp to replace it.

However, you could replace both the amp and driver and be in business. I use a Dayton Reference 315HO with P-E's BASH300 in my living room system. Cabinet is 1.2 ft^3 gross sealed...28l = 1 ft^3, so roughly the size of the Energy cabinet. Strong in room response into the mid 20Hz range.

-Brent

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brent,

Thanks for the reply! I thought I read some place that it was a servo sub and I was wondering if I would be able to use a "regular" plate amp. I have an older 12" sub that I was thinking of taking the driver and putting it into the Microstar enclosure with a new amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts