Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver in my dads PDR series 8" sub woofer is on its last leg. It still sounds ok with music, but it really clicks and pops on large bursts like explosions or dionsaur walking. Even with the gain way way down it still does this.

Anybody have any recomendations for a good replacement driver for this sub? I was honestly thinking about a nice dayton driver.

Also is the woofer mounted in through the hole in the back where the amp sits? Or do I have to pry the sticky stuff off that holds the grill on.

Thanks,
Brian

I have also considered building him a new sub using an old rockford fosgate 15" that I have, and using the amp out of this unit.

which would you consider to be the better option?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Finding a suitable sub for the PDR series 8" sub will depend on what the internal volume of the cabinet is and also what ohm the sub and amp are. Hopefully it isn't some proprietary 12 ohm system.

Using the amp with a Fosgate 15" would not be a good combination since the amp has a Hi-Pass filter in the 35 hz range. The amp was designed to work with a 8 inch sub that was not meant to produce frequencies below 30 hz.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some research on this sub today. The specs on this sub say that it's frequency range is 50-150 hz. Unbelivable.
Aparently it is common for the dust cap to work it self loose so I will check that first and see if glueing it back down fixes the problem.

If not I will replace it.

The enclosures internal measurements are
9" W
13" D
13.5" H

This gives me .91 cuft
If it has a side to side brace as most paradigam subs do it could be as low as .86 cuft.

Plenty of air space for an 8" sub.

Now the question is what is the impedence of this little guy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts