Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that the bargain SI HT18's are no longer available, what is the "next best thing" to replace them in DIY builds? I'm looking for something similarly priced with similar performance if it available. I have heard good things about the Dayton UM18, are there other 18" drivers in the $150 to $200 price point I should consider?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Mark Seaton (Seaton Sound) is using the UM-18 in his new F18. Given that this man already builds some of the most respected subwoofers - from a sound quality perspective - it stands to reason if he's satisfied with what it can do chances are you will be as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark Seaton (Seaton Sound) is using the UM-18 in his new F18. Given that this man already builds some of the most respected subwoofers - from a sound quality perspective - it stands to reason if he's satisfied with what it can do chances are you will be as well.
That is funny, as I had just made that comment on another thread yesterday that I thought the Seaton F18 driver looked a whole lot like the UM18. Now you have confirmed it! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SI is coming out with a new driver soon, 4" voice coil and 27mm xmax, $270 or less shipped. But yes otherwise, ultimax.
Yes, I had heard about that one. I was just hoping there were still some other options in the old SI HT18 Price Range ($150 - $200). It was a bargain!

·
Registered
127 Posts
So does that mean it's an Ultimax clone?
I think the idea was an ultimax killer. From what I hear, dude got tired of people contacting him then deciding to go with an ultimax due to the larger voice coil, more xmax, higher power handling, and possibly lower Le, while not making much on the HT-18's. So, he one-upped the UM on pretty much everything listed above and is even offering it at a lower price point. Of course that's just rumors but the specs seem to back that up. I got an email saying they're in production and they'll know more about availability in a few weeks.

These new ones have a 4" VC while the UM has a 3".

xmax is 27mm vs. what, 23 I think.

Le of 1.52 mH is about the lowest published spec I've seen short of the AuraSound or Acoustic Elegance. UM measured slightly lower at 1.48 on data-bass.

Fs of 18.7 is about the lowest I've seen for any sub.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Gotcha. Nick has always made highly regarded drivers so I imagine this one will be good as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think the idea was an ultimax killer. From what I hear, dude got tired of people contacting him then deciding to go with an ultimax due to the larger voice coil, more xmax, higher power handling, and possibly lower Le, while not making much on the HT-18's. So, he one-upped the UM on pretty much everything listed above and is even offering it at a lower price point. Of course that's just rumors but the specs seem to back that up. I got an email saying they're in production and they'll know more about availability in a few weeks.

These new ones have a 4" VC while the UM has a 3".

xmax is 27mm vs. what, 23 I think.

Le of 1.52 mH is about the lowest published spec I've seen short of the AuraSound or Acoustic Elegance. UM measured slightly lower at 1.48 on data-bass.

Fs of 18.7 is about the lowest I've seen for any sub.
I suppose that's why they are called rumors and not facts. :neener: The decision to stop producing the HT-18 had nothing to do with the Ultimax. Our sales were extremely good with the HT-18...but we weren't making enough profit on that driver to continue manufacturing it and selling it for that price. The UM is in a different price bracket than the HT-18 so, again, it had no impact on the decision.

The new driver we are coming out with is literally something we had started a long time ago and did not want to see the tooling and funds invested on that driver go to waste so we decided to come out with it. The prototype had literally been sitting in our warehouse for close to a year. So we are moving forward with production even if it is only for one production run (if the drivers don't sell very well). If the driver is popular and customers like them we will continue to produce them.

Regarding Le, you need to look at Re along side Le. You can't only look at Le and get a picture of the inductave performance of the driver as Re has a massive impact on Le.

Fs is the same way. Fs is a function of Cms and Mms, nothing more. Want to see a low Fs? Take a look at the 12" shallow mount BM mkIV. Fs is 16 Hz and it was only 3.2" deep. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our sales were extremely good with the HT-18...but we weren't making enough profit on that driver to continue manufacturing it and selling it for that price.
So since sales were robust, is there any chance you would consider just raising the price on the HT-18 to a more profitable point and resurrect it? I know you'd likely lose some sales at a higher price point, but these are very well thought of, so maybe not so much erosion as you'd think. I know I'm probably just wishful thinking...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've been thinking of building a couple dual 18" driver units. Thanks for the notice that a new 18 is coming.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The new DS4-18 production run is finished and will be here shortly. We are keeping the release information close to the chest with this one and no prototypes will be sent out for testing prior to production drivers getting here to avoid any "that was a prototype" de-railment that was thrown around with the HT-18's even years after they were released though nothing was changed from prototype to production on the HT-18's. I got tired of saying the same thing over and over again so this time I will avoid the possiblity of having to state that there were no changes from prototype to production all together. Only production drivers.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
OK Nick, LET'S GO BUD! ;)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
DS4 -18 is AVAILABLE FOR ORDER, go to Sundown.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I ended up going to SI's site, which will link you to the proper vendor site when you click to purchase. This is exciting, can't wait to see some builds with these since I'm FINALLY edging closer to starting our basement.
Yes, Nick's now added it to the SI site and like the closeout of the HT18, is available thru Sundown (they share facilities IIRC).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts