Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an option on a couple of cabinets that are made for 10" drivers, all I have been able to find are 10.25 ~10.5" drivers.
How difficult is it or is it even practical to enlarge the cutouts? These are finished cabinets. Space could be tight for a router as this is downward firing with attached feet.
I don't have a router, but do have an attachment for my Dremel.
Any ideas, comments, suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe I should ask if anyone knows of any good ~10 inch sub drivers that will fit an opening of 258mm x 234mm. (10.157 x 9.212 inches.) I haven't had much luck finding any?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
704 Posts
First of all, yes it is possible to enlarge the opening on a loudspeaker enclosure. A router is the easiest method. What is the precise measurement of the enclosure opening? But secondly and more importantly, what is the internal volume and alignment (vented, sealed, etc.) of the enclosure? What is the make/model of the subwoofer you are trying to replace? You can't just slap in any old driver that happens to fit the hole and expect good results. Fitting the opening is perhaps the least important aspect of choosing the correct replacement driver for your system. More information, please!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
258mm x 234mm. (10.157 x 9.212 inches.) Is the current opening.
It's a sealed enclosure, approx 1 cuft. (a little less?) I'm looking for a driver to replace an SV10, the CSS XBL2 10" looks pretty good overall except the opening would need to be 274 x 229mm (10 3/16 x 9 inches).
Scanspeak has a revelator driver that may work, but it's ~$400 I am hoping for something in the $150 range.
The SV10 drivers were clearanced out over the summer........
Music and movies, if it were exclusively movies, I would want a bigger sub!

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
704 Posts
258 X 234? It's oval?

Oh I see, you are measuring inner and outer flange diameter. So the enclosure is a flush mount system? That makes it a bit more problematic... but since you are only talking about a 16mm difference on the outer diameter, this could probably be accomplished using sand paper. Taking 8mm off the edge with a router or dremel could be accomplished in about 30 seconds after setting it up.

The SDX10 is a very good woofer and should sound fine in a 28l sealed enclosure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.