Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and read way to many threads and am a bit frustrated but I figured I should just ask on a new post instead of confusing myself even more.

I am building a 5.1 HT(I am only building the 5.1 speakers not the room) and was wanting to use the REW to help with room setup. I have read many posts about the REW but I am still confused. I am also very tired because my 4 kids have been a lot of work today.:yawn::snoring: Anyways I am wanting to know what do I need, in regards to REW, to setup my HT.

I have a 2 year old MAC computer with 1.83 Intel Core Duo(10.4.11) and 1.5GB memory. I also have a M-Audio Firewire Solo recording interface which has phantom power.

I have know idea were to go from here. I live in Australia so there is no Radio Shack here either. I am trying to find a list of things I need so I can set my HT up properly. I thought of buying the BFD1124?, I think, but dont know much about that. After reading about the BFD I think I will buy one in the future or maybe the Elemental Design EQ.2 but like I said I really dont know what I need.

I have a pretty small budget so thats why I like the Eq.2 price. Anyways for all those people out there that have done what I want to do please help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty I guess I will need an external sound card.

I probably came off with the wrong ideas. I am wanting to measure and adjust my HT dips and peaks in all ranges. Sub to Mains. I was wanting to buy a Denon 2809 receiver that had the Audyssey Multi Eq XT but I can only afford the Denon 1509 for now. It has the Multi EQ and Volume but I was trying to see how I could get the functions of the XT from something else.

I do know the BFD will adjust my subwoofer with what ever parameters I put in it. I would like to see where I have to adjust so I can have a relatively flat response. And now I am trying to see how I can make sure, I could do the rest of the adjustments the Audyssey Multi EQ cant do that the Multi EQ XT can.

And yes I would like to go the route of taking full range readings. I saw the price of the ECM8000 and that is pretty cheep. How much would it cost to have it calibrated?

And is there a recommended external sound card to buy? for Macs?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for my ignorance but is this all I would need then to use the REW with my mac:
1. Behringer Xenyx 802
2. Behringer ECM8000
3. Behringer Feedback Destroyer 1124p(well I guess that would just be for my sub)
So 1 and 2 are all I need. That is pretty cheep. I think I can come up with the scratch for that if this is all I need.

Thanks and I will continue to read the links and familiarize myself with the basics.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I just saw that I will still need the usb sound card.

What should be suggested as far as the sound card?

And is the sound card in a external case also because all of the ones I have seen are internal ones.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes thats what I was trying to post for a link. Thanks everyone I need to continue reading the REW basics now from here on out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts