Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a home audio enthusiast for quite awhile. I just recently built my first DIY 4cu foot flat pack UM18-22 sealed sub-woofer from P.E. with an Inuke 3000dsp. Looking at all these awesome fan mods have inspired me to do my own. However I could use a bit of help. Currently I have made my own template out of plexiglass however it's a bit flimsy. I would love to have one fabricated out of aluminium or steel. If someone out there has a small shop out there and thinks they can make a one off for me for a reasonable price please pm or reply. All comments or criticisms are welcome. I'm always looking at improving.

The lid from what I can measure is 17" wide and 7 ⅞" tall. Each fan hole is 7.8" in diameter. If you divide the lid in half each is 8.5" long. Each fan hole is centered on in the middle of that side at 4.25". On either side of the 17 inches is a 90 degree bend that is .5" long. I haven't measured the screw holes yet. As I live alone I don't have to worry about any safety concerns so each fan will be mounted externally on top of the lid. I plan to pre-drill the fan screw holes and get some nuts and bolts and rubber washers for vibration dampening at the local hardware store here.

Currently I have already purchased 2 Scythe 200mm fans and a small external 12v laptop power supply that was created specifically for powering 3 pin computer fans. I purchased some small 6.5x6.5x15mm heatsinks. They appear to be a bit small for this project. I will probably end up purchasing some 28x28x15mm to put on each of the power transistors.

I was thinking about posting a picture of my plexiglass lid, however I did it by hand with my Dremel. I doubt anyone would care to see my shoddy workmanship. Two 200mm fans so make for a pretty skimpy lid though. There wasn't much left to see after I got finished cutting out the holes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts