Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have modeled with WinISD the speaker and it does not look too good.
Because I want to put it outside, I want a sealed design.
Volume is .719 cubic feet Fc is 33hz for a QTC of .702

When I looked at the response, it is already 3 db down at 100hz, it does not look like those speaker are good candidate for sub.

I have 2 of those and want to put those on my patio, the unit will also be use to sit on it (bench), so the box can be a lot bigger than .719 cubic feet and I will also drive those with an old Sansui amplifier (B2101) that can supply 200WPC.

I have to change the rubber on those as it is all broken, but I saw some kit that are fairly cheap on internet

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
For use in an open environment, like outside on your deck, you would really benefit from the lower extension of a ported design. That may also require that you make larger boxes. Why not simply cover the ports with mesh or screening? And yes, something that is -3dB at 100 Hz is not a sub.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the suggestion and yes it does a big difference with this kind of speaker.

I used Winisd to start and then play with it and was able to move the -3db point to 33hz (5 cubic feets each), not sure about the result outside and it looks like I may attain maximumn excustion between 40 and 50 hz, but I do not intend to use this at full power outside; got to keep my neightbors happy.

time to order the repair kit for the speakers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts