Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for help to run the wiring from a receiver to the speakers.

I've got 3 in ceiling speakers Paradigm CS60's (I know that's an odd number) that I'd like to wire into a Yamaha RX A810.

Should 2 of them run in Series, and the other as a L or R independently? All separate? Throw out the 3rd speaker because it's useless?

Any help for this Noob would be appreciated.

If more info is required ask away, I'll dig up what I can.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Your receiver likely won't like a load that is below 6 ohms or so; that is common in AVRs due to power supply/space/cost limitations.

If you don't have the equation for figuring equivalent resistance of parallel devices, here is a website that has it, along with an on-line calculator:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

As for the 3rd speaker - not sure what you wish to do with it. If you are only doing mono, you could parallel two and put the third in series and should be OK.

Also remember that a speaker has impedance, not just resistance, due to the inductance of the voice coil, the interaction of the speaker with its enclosure, etc.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Your receiver likely won't like a load that is below 6 ohms or so; that is common in AVRs due to power supply/space/cost limitations.

If you don't have the equation for figuring equivalent resistance of parallel devices, here is a website that has it, along with an on-line calculator:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

As for the 3rd speaker - not sure what you wish to do with it. If you are only doing mono, you could parallel two and put the third in series and should be OK.

Also remember that a speaker has impedance, not just resistance, due to the inductance of the voice coil, the interaction of the speaker with its enclosure, etc.
+1 Where are the speakers located? Are they in one room or in separate rooms? Are they placed as 3 front speakers (L, C, R) or 3 "surround" speakers for a 6.1 set-up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The in ceiling speakers are going to be placed in 1 large room that consists of the kitchen, dining room, and living room. All within about 12' of each other.

The outdoor speakers will be about 20' apart.

So far the best solution is to wire up the 3 in ceilings as L, R, C

And the outdoors as L & R.

I'm not sure what problems the lower Ohms of the speakers I have will create? But I hope it all works when I throw the power switch :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts