Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to use a single frequency (sine wave) as the source signal and then measure reverberation times at a high resolution (i.e. 0.5Hz resolution).

For example:

Using a source signal of 56.2Hz to excite the room. Then measuring the RT60 at 63.5Hz.

Is this possible with REW?

Thanks, Jaryd

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Tricky, certainly can't do that directly with REW. Something you could try is:
  1. Start with an impulse response of the room obtained in the normal way
  2. Use import impulse response to import a WAV file of your excitation signal that stops half way through the file
  3. Use the trace arithmetic feature to generate A*B, which would be the convolution of your excitation with the impulse response
  4. Examine the behaviour of that resulting signal, but you would have to wing it somewhat to see what the impulse response plot and spectrogram plot (for example) show and what you could determine from them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm ok, so REW doesn't do a SPL measurement over time without using the internal signal generator?

What if i used an external signal generator and then measured the SPL decay at a high resolution? Is that possible with REW?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
REW is primarily aimed at obtaining and analysing room impulse responses. To analyse other signals such as the spectral content of the decay of the truncated sine wave you mention something like Audacity could probably be used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts