Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
I just noticed November and December weren't being carried over in the last few posts, so I updated this one to reflect everything from above...

August 2015
Wayne - AKG K 550 headphones (10th); Dirac Live Full Version (25th)
Peter - Anthem MRX-710 - (15th)
Jim - JTR Captivator S1 (7th)
Dennis - I'll steal this one (Peter) - Pioneer Elite BDP-85FD (20th)
Todd -

September 2015
Wayne - Enigma Acoustics D1000 headphones; Enigma Acoustics A1 headphone amp
Peter - Arcam AVR750 (26th)
Jim - XTZ Cinema Series 5.1 system
Dennis -OPEN
Todd - Yamaha RX-3050 Receiver

October 2015
Wayne -
Peter - Fluance XL Series
Jim - Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24SR
Dennis -OPEN
Todd - Axiom Audio Speakers (still in negotiation)

November 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Jim - JTR Captivator 1400
Dennis -

December 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Jim - Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18S
Dennis -
Todd -

========

Wayne, in the works:
  • Dirac Live Full Version
  • Essence 1200 electrostatic speakers
  • Essence DPA-440 Class-D Amp
  • Lyrus Model 9 or Model 6 Headphone
  • miniDSP everAmp DAC/Amp for headphones
  • AKG K 550 headphones
  • Chane - new A5 version, if Jon ever cuts a pair loose for us, not imminent at this point ??
  • PSA 110 speakers - interested, have not inquired directly ??
========

Peter, in the works:

I'm with Wayne - backlog of gear reviews and a somewhat fuzzy schedule. Here's my lineup. I'm planning to try to get through most of all of it in July, while the rest of my family is out of town for a couple weeks.
  • Anthem MRX-710 recevier
  • Arcam AVR-750 receiver
  • Arcam UDP411 Blu-ray player
  • Pioneer Elite SC-89 receiver
  • Pioneer Elite BDP-85FD Blu-ray player
  • Fluance XL Series speaker system
  • Alleged Chane giveaway system (seems like this may not happen)
  • PSA XS30se (maybe)
  • Handful of universal remotes (maybe)

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
August 2015
Wayne - AKG K 550 headphones (10th); Dirac Live Full Version (25th)
Peter - Anthem MRX-710 - (15th)
Jim - JTR Captivator S1 (7th)
Dennis - (Peter) - Arcam AVR750 (28th)
Todd -

September 2015
Peter - Fluance XL Series (26th)
Jim - XTZ Cinema Series 5.1 system
Dennis - OPEN

October 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis - OPEN

November 2015
Wayne -
Peter - Rotel RB/RC 1590
Dennis -

December 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis -
Todd -

========

Wayne, in the works:
  • AKG K 550 headphones
  • Chane - new A5 version, if Jon ever cuts a pair loose for us, not imminent at this point ??

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
September 2015
Peter - Fluance XL Series (26th)
Jim - XTZ Cinema Series 5.1 system (29th)
Dennis - OPEN

October 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis - OPEN
Todd - Isoacoustics Stands

November 2015
Wayne -
Peter - Rotel RB/RC 1590
Jim - HSU Research ULS-15 MK2
Dennis -

December 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis -
Todd -

January 2016
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis -
Todd -

========

Wayne, in the works:
  • AKG K 550 headphones

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
October 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Jim - HSU Research ULS-15 MK2 (29th)
Dennis - OPEN
Todd - Isoacoustics Stands

November 2015
Wayne -
Peter - Rotel RB/RC 1590
Jim - JTR Captivator 118
Dennis -

December 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis -
Todd -

January 2016
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis -
Todd -

========

Wayne, in the works:
  • AKG K 550 headphones

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
October 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Jim - HSU Research ULS-15 MK2 (29th)
Dennis - OPEN
Todd -

November 2015
Wayne -
Peter - Rotel RB/RC 1590
Jim - JTR Captivator 118
Dennis -
Todd - Isoacoustics Stands (early November)

December 2015
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis -
Todd -

January 2016
Wayne -
Peter -
Dennis -
Todd -

========

Wayne, in the works:
  • AKG K 550 headphones

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Hey Guys,

Wanted to start a dialog about posting news/reviews during any given month. I know we're all concerned about the health of HTS...and I think it's really important that we keep new content up on the homepage in a way that keeps the site looking professional...one area where we can probably use some improvement is spacing out the reviews over a month. Over the past year, when reviews have been published, they typically all post right at the end of the month...Seems to me that the site would benefit from having those spread out over a period of a month. This might take some schedule resetting, and having a few of us re-orient our thinking about when a deadline is arriving..but I think we should all think it over.

Now, I broach this topic without wanting to grandstand...so please don't take this the wrong way... just wanted to open dialog to get some ideas flowing.

Right now, we have Mike Edwards penciled in every Tuesday to have a featured movie review featured on the homepage...Tuesdays are good for him because Blu-rays are released every week on Tuesday. I'm also going to stick with publishing new news pieces twice in a week... preferably on a Monday and Thurs/Friday. That leaves four days for a review.

I know that other things - forum announcements, for example - will pop-up....and that schedules can need to shift a day or two... but if we can keep the lines of communication open, I think we can establish a rhythm that really benefits the site.

Wayne feels like he needs the end of the month deadline as motivation. So maybe he could be designated to go live at in the last week of every month. Otherwise... what do you guys think? Is it possible that each reviewer accepts a review week slot (i.e., week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4) to post within? I'd be more than happy to get more involved with working with everyone to keep the schedule moving smoothly...bearing the brunt the keeping it organized on a week to week basis.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Agreed. I am open to week of the month. Once I start reviewing again, that is, my reviews can fill in the spaces.

I need to ramp up my posting and reviews. I am gonna review the next gen Chane A2 when it comes out, then a full Vapor Audio Sundogs Black review. Trying to get an Emotiva XMC-1 for my first electronic review.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Todd;

My publish dates have always centered around two objectives; when I felt the review was ready to go live, and ensuring there were several days separation between anyone else's review and mine. Of late I've been posting toward the end of a month, but that actually hasn't been by design - more coincidence than anything else really.

My first draft of the HSU ULS-15 MK2 is about 90% done, so that one will be up before the end of December (I'm working on it at this very moment). I'm still awaiting delivery of the Funk Audio 21, JTR 118HT and the Reaction Audio Gamma 21, all of which are supposedly confirmed. I haven't heard anything from Deep Sea Sound in a few months though, so I can't say for certain if I'll ever see the Mariana's. On top of those I have two other irons in the fire, but to be honest with the way things have been going at HTS - and the paltry compensation for reviews in general - I haven't been actively pursuing them. If VS suddenly steps up to the plate that may change though.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Hey Jim, Totally understand. Certainly not trying to change those factors... if we can have a general schedule to spread things out, great. Maybe it's something that we all need to discuss on a month to month basis...key is keeping within the monthly budget time frame...but also spacing things out.

I understand the motivation factor re:VS... ugh...

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
If I ever get around to wrapping up the last couple reviews I have committed to, I'm likely going to take an extended if not permanent break from reviews. This isn't so much related to the VS issues or compensation for me. I've done it simply because I enjoy it, but lately I just don't have the time to commit to a really thorough review. I don't like publishing something that feels like it's missing anything. When I get backed up and start to rush, I just don't enjoy it enough, and don't want to crank out a bunch of sub-par reviews just to have something out there. Long story short, don't count on regular contributions from me moving forward. I still plan to be active in the forums and staff/mod discussions, and possibly more regular reviews in the future. This is a great review staff and I'm privileged to be a part of it. I've learned a ton from you guys. This isn't goodbye! Maybe I could be a designated proofreader or something. A review critic! :bigsmile:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Hey Jim, Totally understand. Certainly not trying to change those factors... if we can have a general schedule to spread things out, great. Maybe it's something that we all need to discuss on a month to month basis...key is keeping within the monthly budget time frame...but also spacing things out.
If you're willing (prefer?) to coordinate the scheduling I would be fine with that. My only request is we (the mod's and reviewers) have a spot where we can all see what's on the docket and approximately when it will be going live. I like to notify a manufacturer as soon as I post their review so they can fact check my work.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
If I ever get around to wrapping up the last couple reviews I have committed to, I'm likely going to take an extended if not permanent break from reviews. This isn't so much related to the VS issues or compensation for me. I've done it simply because I enjoy it, but lately I just don't have the time to commit to a really thorough review. I don't like publishing something that feels like it's missing anything. When I get backed up and start to rush, I just don't enjoy it enough, and don't want to crank out a bunch of sub-par reviews just to have something out there. Long story short, don't count on regular contributions from me moving forward. I still plan to be active in the forums and staff/mod discussions, and possibly more regular reviews in the future. This is a great review staff and I'm privileged to be a part of it. I've learned a ton from you guys. This isn't goodbye! Maybe I could be a designated proofreader or something. A review critic! :bigsmile:
You are a good proofreader, I like that idea.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Todd, so what was the outcome of your suggestion to coordinate the publishing of reviews? I'm about to drop the HSU ULS-15 MK2, but I wasn't sure if there was something I needed to do differently/beforehand.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
You are a good proofreader, I like that idea.
As do I. It is tough to proofread your own work. After the draft, final draft and editing, the rush to publish it right away just makes me google-eyed trying to proofread.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Todd, so what was the outcome of your suggestion to coordinate the publishing of reviews? I'm about to drop the HSU ULS-15 MK2, but I wasn't sure if there was something I needed to do differently/beforehand.
I don't think we really had a consensus. Did we? The root of my suggestion was to try and spread review posting out over the period of a month, along with the news and Mike's movie reviews...just to keep front page content fresh and interesting. In essence, basically giving a reviewer a week within a month to get a review up. Dennis said he would be game for adjusting his schedule to fit into that...Wayne had kind of indicated that he needs the end of the month deadline as motivation. I can fit into anywhere in the month.

If you guys think it's too much trouble, or think it's a just a *meh* idea, that's cool by me. I know every month is different ---and that sometimes several slots are open, etc...

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Every month will indeed be different, but I'm fine with using a conduit if that will ensure we don't step on each others publishing. Movies were Tuesday and Thursday, right? How about I publish my review on Friday. Would that work?

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Every month will indeed be different, but I'm fine with using a conduit if that will ensure we don't step on each others publishing. Movies were Tuesday and Thursday, right? How about I publish my review on Friday. Would that work?
Ok, that's fine...maybe we can all touch base at the end of every month...I'll try to remember to post here to see how schedules shake out.

Friday is fine to publish.

I'll try to have news up on a Monday, Mike is shooting for Tuesday movie...then that leaves wed-friday for a review and another news article (of course we have Saturday and Sunday too) :big smile:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Todd;

Are you orchestrating review posting dates? If so, I have the JTR Captivator 118HT being typed up as I write this. I'm hoping to publish by 1/29. PSA is sending me a V1800, so barring any complications I should have that one out by the end of February. Everything else - Mark Seaton's MFW Turbo, the Deep Sea Sound 18" and 24" and the Funk Audio 21" - are all up in the air for various reasons. As soon as I have something concrete on those I'll let you know.

Does anyone else have something in the pipeline?

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
No, but we should. I have nothing this month, but will have Fyssion review mid-month next month.

Wayne, you had a review almost ready to go at the end of December... Can you publish next week?

Thanks for the note, Jim, we do need to nail these down and keep them spaced.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Is anyone from VS lining up products for review? Since I got into this I've always done the arrangements myself, but I know my approach is far from the norm. I have a pipeline and probably a years worth of products to draw from, so I'm good for 2016 it seems, but everyone else - especially you! - needs to have products to eval. Is someone from VS spearheading that?

101 - 120 of 137 Posts