Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: Revised Firmware V1.4 for the DSP1124P

I just ordered my updated eeprom from hobbyroms, worked out good for me as I'm also in Canada, I do believe that I started all this a few months ago, I thought that I was just a goon at first as did some of you, but I must say that it all worked out great in the end.

I would like to thank Ron Carlton, Sonnie and all the rest of you guys that followed through and got a fix.

I've come back and checked this forum occasionally for the last few months and low and behold if today I didn't find this fix. I'm so happy, can't wait to get my new eeprom and try it out

Josh

·
Registered
790 Posts

Count me in on the EPROM effort. I'm not that familiar with OTP EPROMS, but is it possible to substitute a different EPRPM so it can be flashed if there are any more updates?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts

OTP EPROMS
They're one time programmable and then you throw them away. There is no flashing firmware, nor is the BFD board set up for it. Since the BFD is being discontinued, this would be the last gasp......

brucek

·
Registered
790 Posts

Thanks. Let me know if there will be a bulk buy, I'll kick in so one person doesn't get "stuck" with laying out a;; the money.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Alright! I got my new eprom from Hobbyroms.com today. Gonna pry her open tonight and see iof I can get it working. Any tips on the process from anyone who's had success?

Just a word of caution to those who are installing the eprom.

1- Be sure to note which side the "notch" on the original eprom is facing

2- Remove the old eprom carefully ( I find a flathead screwdriver works well )

3- Install the new eprom in the same direction as the old one,
matching the notch to the same direction
[Note : Don't rely on the sticker for orientation, USE THE NOTCH ]

When installing an eprom, I find that the easiest way
is to tilt the eprom so as to line-up all the pins on one side
to fit in the socket. When you're sure you've got the pins on one side lined-up,
ease the other side into the other side of the socket.

The eprom pins are usually just a little wider than the socket,
so you might have to put a bit of pressure to make sure the pins fit in the socket.

DON'T PUSH the eprom in just yet.

Make sure all the pins are indeed fitted in the socket...
Bent pins are hard to see.

Once you're sure all the pins are well positioned,
AND you've got the notch facing the right way,
....then push the eprom fully into the socket.

Good luck.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any problems
( info @ hobbyroms.com )

Cheers,
Steph
Hobbyroms.com

·
Registered
568 Posts

I've got the replacement EPROM (thanks Steph from Hobbyroms.com). How in the world do you remove the screws to get to the guts of the thing? I have a number 1 and 0 Phillips screwdriver from Radio Shack with the small handle...could only loosen 1 screw! Are there better screwdrivers? Or am I a wimp:crying: ?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Just use a drill and if necessary a hammer... leave it plugged up for an extra surge to burst it loose... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
246 Posts

I was planning to pick up an 1124P from a local retailer. Am I definitely going to hit this bug with the midi (wanting to use REW to send filters/EQ to it), or does the issue only affect some units? Seems like this issue recently came up, so what changed that broke this (seems like many people in the past did not have this issue?)?

·
Registered
790 Posts

Can you update the title of this thread to say "revised Firmware v1.4 for V1.3 DSP1124P".

I'm new here, but if I read the threads correctly the V1.0-v1.2 DSP1124P BFDs don't have a problem between the Midi interface and REW do they? I have an older BFD and was thinking "oh ****" I need to upgrade the thing if I want to use a midi interface to store the filter values...:dontknow:

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got my 1.4 chip but not in a hurry to install it. I've gotten used to manually entering the data into the BFD and figure I might as well save the $40 on the MIDI cable... still undecided though.

BTW, after I replace the chip will I need to reprogram all my filters in the BFD? Or is that stored in a different chip in the BFD?

·
Registered
790 Posts
One thing I found that eases the replacement is to remove the pin cable to the right. Just pop up the glue, remove the pin connector and then you have a "whole heaping passle" of room. I also use a hot glue gun to put a dab of glue on both connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All!
First of all I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the effort you, guys made to solve this DSP1124P 1.3 MIDI problem!
Finally, I've received new eprom with 1.4 firmware (thanks Steph from www.Hobbyroms.com) and swapped out the ver 1.3 chip.
(I'm in Australia and it worked out very well for me, it took 10 days for the parcel to arrive)

Now I'm very happy to have my 1124 unit fully functional.

Regards,
Andriy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OK, I tried to start a separate thread since it really is a different issue BUT did not get a definitive answer.
My question is: What is the difference from V1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3?
The difference from 1.3 to 1.4 is well documented here - I'll go out on a limb and say the only difference is that MIDI is enabled right???
But, I really would like to know of the differences from the other versions. Anyone?
TIA

41 - 60 of 138 Posts