Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not having much luck using my m-box as the audio interface. I'm currently running a 2.4 ghz Macbook/4 gig ram. It has pro-tools installed but I doubt its conflicting with it.

Is there anybody else out there having success with a similar setup?

:scratchhead:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Generally as long as your Mac has an Intel processor, you're OK, as REW only works on Intel Macs.

The problem with M-box is that it only uses ASIO drivers (I believe). REW requires the use of WDM drivers.

brucek

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More specifically it seems the problem is a feedback loop caused by an inability to mute the monitoring of the input signal. I don't have an answer. Any ideas?

:scratchhead:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have tested a commercial studio's control room with success today using a Macbook Pro 2.4GHz (MB133B/A with OS X 10.5.6) and an M-Box Mini + PTLE 7.4.2. The trick is that you need to launch Pro Tools along with REW in order to control the M-Box, since the Digi drivers won't let you control the interface from System Preferences Sound Pane.

- Just launch PTLE and start a new session with two mono audio input tracks assigned to either of the inputs, and a stereo master fader, all set to 0dB. Mute the input tracks so that they don't relay what's at the input to the output, and then leave it as it is all throughout the test.

- Set the Output from REW settings panel to Java Audio Engine, and the Input to M-Box Mic Input.

- Connect the mic to the M-Box as usual and turn the direct monitoring knob full-clockwise to Input (opposite end of Mix).

- Calibrate the soundcard using the utility below the same panel and off you go.

Good luck.

B.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No bother. The REW is free, and so is the supplementary advice :T

The problem with M-box is that it only uses ASIO drivers (I believe). REW requires the use of WDM drivers.

brucek
FYI, there is no such thing as WDM for Macs. There's just Core Audio drivers. WDM is for Windows platforms. I even doubt that there is an ASIO driver protocol for OS X platform, cos I've never heard of it.

Digidesign products use Core Audio drivers in OS X.

Cheers.

B.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Great, thanks for the answers Barish. My Mac knowledge is about zero, so I always appreciate any Mac guy helping out.

brucek

·
Registered
16 Posts
My pleasure. Thanks for maintaining such a great board. It's very helpful and full of valuable information :T

Cheers.

B.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tried the same setup again today. You don't even need to launch PTLE. Just adjust the settings in REW and on M-Box unit as above and carry on. The mic appears on the left channel on M-Box Mini.

B.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry I feel like an idiot here but I'm still getting a feedback loop. I opened up PTLE as per your instructions set the mbox's mix knob full clockwise and set the REW input/ouput settings as discussed but still getting a loop. In fact turning down the input signal knob does nothing.
Let me ask which out (L or R) are you connecting to which input (1 or 2).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Then make sure all the on-board mic in, line in and speaker outs are either muted, or at the minimum from the System Preferences Sound Panel when working, because in a few occasions I caught them working (and affecting the result) along with M-box Mini.

Other than that, it really is as simple as I've explained above. Put the mic in, press the phantom power button in, pad out, turn the direct monitoring knob to full right to All Input, go to settings, select Java Core Audio as Output and Digidesign M-Box as Input (default inputs, as there are no other inputs anyway), then select Left channel as "the" channel, untick the Left channel loopback calibration thingie (cos L channel is busy with the mic signal now), and check the I/O gain to -12dBFS/-18dBFS parity, then calibrate the SPL, then set the target level according to the speaker type and then click Measure and get the snapshot. I don't know what else to say.

B.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that's about as detailed as you can get. Do you run the calibrate function first by patching the output of the mbox into the input?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured that calibration was necessary but I guess my question is which outputs and inputs to use. Remember the mbox is not labeled L and R on the inputs but 1 and 2. I guess I can assume that input 1 (the only mic input) will be referred to as L in REW?

Because this is where I am experiencing the feedback loop. I haven't even gotten to hook a mic up to it yet.

Thanks for your patience!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
but I guess my question is which outputs and inputs to use
Like many higher end soundcards, a 1 and 2 are used in place of right and left. You have to establish which is which, since REW selects the channel to use with an R and L designation.

Make sure you don't check the "Use Left Channel as Calibration reference" box.

You may select either Right or Left channel to use for the calibration - it matters not. What does matter is that once you have created the soundcard calibration file, then the channel it was created on must be used for the mic and output to your system.

I haven't even gotten to hook a mic up to it yet
As well you shouldn't until the soundcard calibration file is created and you confirm that the file is good by doing a measure of the loopback cable. It (of course) should now measure flat from 2-20000Hz because any inadequacies of the soundcard are compensated by the soundcard cal file.

Once you've accomplished that, it's a simple matter of removing the loopback cable and hook up your mic and system to do a measurement.

Set speaker type.
Run Check Levels.
Run Calibrate.
Set measure limits (i.e 0-200Hz for a sub , 0-20000 for full system)
Measure.

That's it.

brucek

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate it. Let me fool with it tonight and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still having problems. I noticed that I'm not getting a clean sine wave. I patched the output of the mbox into my mixer and just ran the signal generator and realized that I'm getting a very modulated strange signal. This is not an overload problem as I adjusted levels to make sure I wasn't clipping anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try selecting the MBox as default Audio In and Out device from System Preferences > Sound and then selecting Default device option in REW menu.

By the way I can confirm that the internal oscillator of the REW sends absolute garbage out of the right channel. The L signal is fine, but R signal is totally distorted.

I'm not sure if this is caused by an internal driver conflict or not, but whatever the signal type, be it Pink Noise or sweep, the R channel signal is not usable at all.

I've checked it both on my MBP + MBox mini system, and MacPro + HD Accel + 192I/O system. I could replicate the same symptoms on both systems.

Someone should let the developers know about this.

I could provide further evidence to track the fault if needed.

B.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
By the way I can confirm that the internal oscillator of the REW sends absolute garbage out of the right channel.
Thousands have used REW without having this problem, so it's a bit confusing that you have this trouble?

I'll inform the author of REW of your problem.

brucek

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Bruce. What I'll do is, I'll record the outputs on another recorder over the weekend and post the files along with full setting snapshots and may be someone else can replicate it that way as well.

At first I thought perhaps it was something to do with my MBox but when I installed the REW onto the other MacPro + PTHD system the result was just the same.

PC versions might not have this problem, but Mac version seems to have it.

B.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts