Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite a few years I have used REW with my Macbook Pro/Mandalane MDA/Behringer UCA 202 via USB.
I dont have HDMI connection available.
Recently I had to update OSX to El Capitan 10.11.6 .
Mandalane MDA no longer works.
REW no longer works.
I have searched this forum for help but couldnt find a solution that works with my specific circumstance . It seems circumstances change with every different version of OSX.

Can anyone help me with a solution or is just necessary to somehow go to a Windows machine ?
Thanks MJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am having no success.
I have removed the original version of REW and I have downloaded the current OSX version.
I have my Macbook Pro connected to Behringer UCA USB soundcard.
Soundcard output to my amplifier then
Behringer ECM 8000 microphone via Behringer XENYX 502 to input of Behringer to UCA 202

I have tried replacing all leads with other leads.

This is exactly the same setup that worked for years other than
no longer using Mandolane
new version of REW

I believe I have tried every possible combination of Audio Input / Audio Output in both the soundcard setting and Mac sound settings.
When I try to check output level there is no response from the output meter, which appears to be blanked out, and no sound from the speakers.

Any help appreciated
Thanks MJ

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
If you go to the REW soundcard preferences there is a Generate Debug File... button, that will produce a file showing the devices REW can see so worth attaching the output of that. Please also post a screeshot of your REW soundcard preferences and the Mac's Audio Midi preferences.

Are you able to generate sounds from your Mac via the UCA202 without using REW, playing some music, for example? Need to make sure you can do that before looking at the REW settings.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
When you have USB Audio Codec selected as the output device are you not able to select SPEAKER as the output?

I see M3D Mixer and Soundflower are both still installed. M3D Mixer should be removed, if you look in Library -> Java -> Extensions you will probably find a number of libMandoxxx files, delete all of them to remove M3D. If you don't need soundflower for something else I'd be inclined to remove that as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I have USB Audio Codec selected as output device I cant select speakers as the output . It is not an alternative.

I am thinking the problem lies with M3D mixer. I removed the mixer from my computer before I installed the new version of REW. I didnt know about Library-> Java-> Extensions. I have now looked in the Library and can find no trace of anything to do with Java extensions and no libMandoxx files.
Despite this every time I open REW a box appears telling me that M3D wont work with OSX 10.11.6. As M3D was used in the old set up as the output device maybe REW is still expecting it to be there and when it wont work with current OSX no output happens ?

I will need to find someone more knowledgeable than me ( not hard ) about computers to help me get rid of M3D. At the same time I will get rid of Sunflower as well as REW still thinks its there even though it has been uninstalled as well.
Thanks MJ

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
REW doesn't generate any messages about M3D, that is probably coming from OS X. There are two Library folders, one in your user directory and one system-wide that is at the root of the disk - if you look in Finder under Macintosh Hard Disk you should find a Library folder there, which is probably where the M3D extensions are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello John, You are quite correct ( surprise ! ) the extensions were in that Library . When they were removed "Speaker" appeared as an output option and everything worked fine.
Thankyou again for your generous patient help .
MJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John, Thanks for making REW available for so many people to use and for the support freely given to all of us . I have made a small thankyou donation to REW via my partners paypal account.
MJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts