Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a small home recording studio, and I have a couple of newbie questions about using REW with a RS SPL meter. I have a newer Radio Shack 2055 digital meter. It's the newer grey model with a rubberized grip and a windscreen. I can't post a link, but a quick search on the Radio Shack website for "sound meter" will provide specs and a pic. This newer model doesn't look like the older 2055. The older digital 2055's are black, have a large dial, and no windscreen.

My first question is will this particular RS SPL meter be adequate to use for not only SPL calibration but also as a measurement mic for FR and decay times? I've seen on here that others use the older 2055, but I haven't seen anything about the newer grey model, and I just wanted to check.

Second question...will the 2055 calibration file work for this newer model as well? Or do I need something different for calibration?

Thanks for the help.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Should be fine for measurement below a few kHz and looking at decays/waterfalls. You can't use the cal for the other meter, better off just using the 'C weighted SPL meter' setting without a cal file and don't place too much faith in the accuracy of the responses.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I have searched before for a .cal for the newer RS meter and it doesn't look like anyone has taken the time to create one yet. I did a side by side comparison of the new and the old meters, there is a significant difference in FR (especially in the LF) so the old .cal definitely should not be used. Hopefully time will tell that the newer meter is actually better...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the info. And, fusseli, thanks for the link to the comparison that you did. I noticed that was back in June '12. Have you used / tested the newer model any more over the last year or so? Any additional thoughts on it's accuracy in regards to LF and/or HF? Also, should the the windscreen be used for measurements or no?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Sadly no, I have not done any more testing. If you really intend on using your new RS mic for exacting measurements, I'd reckon the best way to go would be to get it calibrated at Cross Spectrum Labs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts