Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !
I'm using REW for a while now but there is still a missing feature : it's to use a VST directly to change the sweep and test windows player EQ in REW.

For this, I was hoping Asio version of REW, helped by Console Sound Studio to add VST in the ASIO process, could do this.
But I didn't succeed to make it works...

Is someone try to do this before and succeed ?
Thanks ! :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Do you know how & why you failed ?

Analysis of your process to date , is a crucial first step towards achieving a measure of success when dealing with issues of "virtual patching" .

:sn:

PS : Do you know about VAC ( Virtual Audio Cable ) ?

- You can download a demo version to see if it is of any use to you ( before buying it ) .
- It's also worth downloading to see if it plays nice with your existing soundcards drivers ( it wasn't that compatible my M-Audio cards drivers / BSOD > blue screens of death & all that ).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I failed because the in and out is not clear in the Asio choice in Console...

But I will try your Virtual audio cable, thanks !
(I think I already use it a long time ago)

By the way, there is a problem in REW : there is a choice of output in Asio and it is left or right chanel but can't out to the both together !

I prefer to measure right and left separately (we can't do it before with Java), but to check global response it's useful to measure both.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
What exactly are trying to achieve with REW ?

For instance ;

(i) Are you aware that REW can currently create & then export ( as a wave file , mono or stereo ) its' User-Generated Correction ( EQ ) Filter ?
> That wave file ( EQ filter ) can then be VST hosted within the dsp section ( within a convolver that hosts wave files ) of the playback software ( like Windows Media Player , FooBar, Media Center ) .
> This will provide custom EQed playback ( for your speakers ) as long as your music is played by the software hosting the EQ correction file .
> This approach is purely software based ( the next approach , is bit of both ) .

(ii) The latest & next generation of soundcards are putting more DSP processing power right onto the soundcard, allowing things like VST plugins to be hosted within the soundcards own virtual mixer ( ie; driver ) .
> As I see it, this is the direction all mid to high lprice cards are going .
> Waiting ( & then buying ) a new sound card ( with VST hosting capabilites ) is quite likely the best way to go here ( at least for me ).
> This approach relieves the computers CPU of all the high overhead ( number crunching ) necessary for multiple channels of convolved EQ .
> Once your speakers' correction EQ is hosted within your soundcard then ( of course ) any audio routed through the cards outputs gets EQed .

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
By the way, there is a problem in REW : there is a choice of output in Asio and it is left or right chanel but can't out to the both together !
Select the other output you want to use as the reference output, the same signal will then appear on both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok thanks, I was afraid to try this ! :R

But well done Earlk, Virtual Audio Cable was the part missing in my setup to pass the sound through Console and set up the VST I use in Foobar. :clap:

What exactly are trying to achieve with REW ?

For instance ;

(i) Are you aware that REW can currently create & then export ( as a wave file , mono or stereo ) its' User-Generated Correction ( EQ ) Filter ?
> That wave file ( EQ filter ) can then be VST hosted within the dsp section ( within a convolver that hosts wave files ) of the playback software ( like Windows Media Player , FooBar, Media Center ) .
> This will provide custom EQed playback ( for your speakers ) as long as your music is played by the software hosting the EQ correction file .
> This approach is purely software based ( the next approach , is bit of both ) .

I saw it but never try. Now, I can setup my EQ and see directly his effect in REW ! :T

(ii) The latest & next generation of soundcards are putting more DSP processing power right onto the soundcard, allowing things like VST plugins to be hosted within the soundcards own virtual mixer ( ie; driver ) .
> As I see it, this is the direction all mid to high lprice cards are going .
> Waiting ( & then buying ) a new sound card ( with VST hosting capabilites ) is quite likely the best way to go here ( at least for me ).
> This approach relieves the computers CPU of all the high overhead ( number crunching ) necessary for multiple channels of convolved EQ .
> Once your speakers' correction EQ is hosted within your soundcard then ( of course ) any audio routed through the cards outputs gets EQed .

I just have an Spdif transport, no sound card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts