Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Rew - bass limited slope

1720 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  JohnM
Hello, just curious what is happening when I choose a 12db/octave vs a 24db/octave slope in the eq window for my speakers (not sub). I have read where it is recommended to select 12db for a speaker and 24db for a sub, but then it went on to state that you may want to use 24db for a speaker. That last part is where I am confused.

I have an emotiva umc 200 and the default settings have the speakers set to 12db/octave and the sub to 24db/octave. Because of this I am thinking I should run the eq filters for the speakers at 12db/octave as to match the umc 200. Or should I run the eq settings in REW at 24db for my speakers and then change the settings in the umc 200 to 24db as well?

Any clarification would help, thanks!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Don't change any settings in your UMC-200.

To explain the settings: the AVR will typically have a 12 dB/octave bass management filter for the speakers (when they are not full range). The speakers themselves will also typically have a 12 dB/octave acoustic roll-off at the low end, so if the speaker roll-off starts at the same place as the bass management filter roll-off, the overall effect would be 24 dB/octave - in that case choosing 24 dB/octave in REW would give a line that would more closely track what you measure. If the speaker roll-off starts lower down (say the speakers don't roll off until 40 Hz but bass management is set to 80 Hz) their response will be closer to 12 dB/octave. The best way to choose is to pick the slope that best lines up with your measurement, but the slope setting won't have much effect on the filters.
See less See more
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.