Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Forgive the intrusion but could I trouble you for a moment?

If I'm taking readings from my Galaxy 140 using C-weighting and adding the .cal file correction factor am I reading the true SPL?

For example: I play REW generated sinewaves through my sub:

I read 106dB @ 10Hz @ 1 metre (39.4") on my Galaxy 140 SPL meter.

I add the 13.45dB correction factor (taken from the REW text .cal file) to my 106dB(C) meter reading and then assume that I am actually outputting 119.45dB measured at 1 metre @ 10Hz.

Is the assumed ~120dB @ 10Hz true or false? (I'm ignoring any harmonic distortion components for the moment)

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
If I'm taking readings from my Galaxy 140 using C-weighting and adding the .cal file correction factor am I reading the true SPL?
Yes. The end result of applying the cal file is to create a flat mic response. If the meter conformed to a perfect C-Weight response, then we wouldn't need a cal file, and we could simply check the C-Weight box in REW and it would apply a reverse C-Weight to the readings, and the result would be flat. That's a perfect world, but in the real world, no meter seems to exactly conform to the C-Weight curve, and especially at the extremes. So, we apply a curve (cal file) that more closely matches the meter over the wide extreme low frequencies we desire, and the result hopefully is flat.

brucek

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. The end result of applying the cal file is to create a flat mic response. If the meter conformed to a perfect C-Weight response, then we wouldn't need a cal file, and we could simply check the C-Weight box in REW and it would apply a reverse C-Weight to the readings, and the result would be flat. That's a perfect world, but in the real world, no meter seems to exactly conform to the C-Weight curve, and especially at the extremes. So, we apply a curve (cal file) that more closely matches the meter over the wide extreme low frequencies we desire, and the result hopefully is flat.

brucek
Perfect! It seemed so obvious that I didn't quite believe it.

In a moment of doubt over an unlikely reading I feared the .cal corrections were unique to REW's inner workings.

I wanted to be certain before I accepted the results of my testing as genuine.

Many thanks.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts