Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have to make sure to not use WASAPI....

This is a cheap way to bump XT to XT32 I guess.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Yeah, kinda. A cool thing about the combination - you may already have discovered it - is that with the APO you can get really sharp notch filtering for controlling LF room modes, much sharper than Audyssey can accomplish because of the type of filtering involved. Some Audyssey users have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to do the same thing in hardware, with a PC and the APO you get it for free!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish REW would allow more than 20 filters and up to 20khz :) But it is really flat already.

The biggest problem is EqualizerAPO sometimes does not take effect, and there is no warning. Also, took me awhile before I realized that WASAPI just bypass the equalizer.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
...The biggest problem is EqualizerAPO sometimes does not take effect, and there is no warning.
Not cool. The day when Windows never does anything unexpected will be a very fine day. All in all, though, I am a very happy Windows 7 user.

Also, took me awhile before I realized that WASAPI just bypass the equalizer.
Yes, now that you mention it, a good thing to know!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wish REW would allow more than 20 filters and up to 20khz :) But it is really flat already.
if you want more then 20 filters, make 2 or more groups of filters (say one for 20Hz-5000Hz ,one for 5000-20000Hz for example). For each group, REW will find you 20 filters but be carefull with the filters who work for 2 groups. In other thread, they said you have to minimize the number of filters so i don't know if it's a good idea.
The biggest problem is EqualizerAPO sometimes does not take effect, and there is no warning.
i agree, i saw the same thing

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
if you want more then 20 filters, make 2 or more groups of filters (say one for 20Hz-5000Hz ,one for 5000-20000Hz for example). For each group, REW will find you 20 filters but be carefull with the filters who work for 2 groups. In other thread, they said you have to minimize the number of filters so i don't know if it's a good idea.
"Over-EQing" can give a response curve that looks super flat but sounds very sterile & lifeless, even "unnatural."

·
Registered
36 Posts
The biggest problem is EqualizerAPO sometimes does not take effect, and there is no warning.
i just wrote a small programm to test if EQ-APO works :

ShellExecuteWait("cmd",'/c copy /y "c:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt_nul" "c:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt" ')
SoundPlay(@WindowsDir & "\media\notify.wav",1)
Sleep(2000)
ShellExecuteWait("cmd",'/c copy /y "c:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt_sub_allume" "c:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt" ')
SoundPlay(@WindowsDir & "\media\notify.wav",1)

explanation :
config.txt_nul contain : Preamp: -26 dB
config.txt_sub_allume contain your filter configuration
so copy first config , play a sound , wait 2s , copy second config, play a sound. If the sound are different for the two sound then EQ-APO works

PS the program is writen with autoit but any language will work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts