Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

im new to this forum. I intend to use REW to optimize my 2 way active speakers with minidsp.
my equipment as follow:
1. PC as the source
2. 4 channel nelson pass's DIY F5
3. Speakers are Beyma 12cx + Eminence Alpha 15a (Beyma is coax, which have passive xo on them)
4. Minidsp 2x4
5. Twisted Pear kit ESS9018 DAC
6. EMU 0404
7. Calibrated ECM-8000 by Cross-Spectrum

i've read for quite awhile how to use the REW, but im overwhelm with so much new information.
FYI, This is my first attempt of designing speaker system with room correction.

i have important questions :D as follow :
Does the speakers have to be at the same source as the measurement equip? / should be on different source, as 1pc for playback the test tone and 1 pc for measurement (in my case is a MACBOOKPRO)

the MINIDSP can import data from REW, so doing diff Source is no prob, i actually prefer this way, as i will be seating far from playback source.

hope u guys can help me.
cheers
henry

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
To make measurements with REW your PC is used as both the source of the sweep signal and to capture and analyse the result. An alternative is to save REW's "Pink PN" test signal as a WAV file (from the REW signal generator), play that back from any source and look at the result using REW's RTA, but that limits you to viewing frequency response only.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi john,

thanks for the quick reply, you have such a good heart to make REW available for all of us to improve our system.

i hope i can try this evening.

i believe i like to have freq response, polar response and waterfall at least to determined the settings.

cheers
henry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi wayne,

i supposed so, but i have not succesful using the emu0404 with rew to calibrate soundcard etc.

seems rew cannot work with it. i plug the mic, i see mic levels on emu0404 are responding to the sound (also in sound properties at macosx)

have anyone experience using emu0404 with macosx?

Bill, thanks. its new for me, so please be gentle :D

cheers
henry

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Unfortunately Apple's Java runtime has a bug that prevents Java applications accessing the inputs of multichannel soundcards. They show no signs of planning to fix it, a fix may come when Oracle start providing a Java runtime for OS X. If your Mac has on-board line in and line/headphone out you could use those instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi john,

i gave up to do with mac. im using them in windows instead. done about 4 hrs of measurements.

still long way to go. :D

thanks alot for the good stuff :)

cheers
henry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts