Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've attached a chart showing how my SVS PB12 Plus/2 responds in my listening room. I have the sub tuned to 20Hz with one port blocked.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
heh... those manufacturers response charts are nearfield measurements and probably performed in a wide open area or either in an anechoic chamber set up for such measurements.

Do you have a BFD? You can fix that right up. You may not be able to do as much with that peak at 19hz without having to fiddle with some serious offsetting boosted filters from 25-30hz. You could however, tune your sub port to 22hz and that might tame it. Or if you are able, move the sub out from the wall a little more. Looks like you got some good room help down low there.

I love this sub... I've got two of 'em.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No BFD yet :duh:. I am using the built in Parametric EQ for the peak around 40 Hz.:scratch:

I also need to construct some bass traps...I have 18' ceiling and only a 12' ladder. :help:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
You'll need some serious bass traps to trap those frequencies that low. Could be a challenge.

18' ceiling :yikes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried different port settings:
green=16Hz
purple=20Hz
red=25 Hz

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a chart with the main speakers included. Tuned to 20Hz.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I was always under the impression that basstraps were more effective in frequencies an octave or two above the range of a subwoofers output. Id definitely play with phase and location (as sonnie suggested) if possible to try and iron out any cancellation that may be going on first. Then tweak flat with the BFD. my.02

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only have 3 possible locations for the sub. Unfortunately, I have the computer in one of them. The sub is not too difficult to move if I drag it with a blanket:run: ...it weighs 160 pounds. I'll try to get measurements in all three locations and compare. Finding the best location for the sub should be step one, can't change the location of the mains. I'll play with the phase some more.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If/when I get a BFD, do I turn off the parametric equalizer built in to the sub (only handles 1 peak) and use the BFD exclusively (seems like the right thing to do)? Or do I use them together?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Exocer said:
I was always under the impression that basstraps were more effective in frequencies an octave or two above the range of a subwoofers output.
Generally 80hz and above, unless you are willing to get serious big and bulky... and do a lot of experimenting.

rcarlton said:
If/when I get a BFD, do I turn off the parametric equalizer built in to the sub (only handles 1 peak) and use the BFD exclusively (seems like the right thing to do)? Or do I use them together?
You shouldn't need the one on the sub. You got up to 24 on the BFD, which I'd think you could do what you need to do with 12 filters or less.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sonnie said:
You shouldn't need the one on the sub. You got up to 24 on the BFD, which I'd think you could do what you need to do with 12 filters or less.
Sonnie,
It might be easier to use the built in equalizer to tame the peak at 19 Hz, and allow the BFD to take care of the others.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
True! I'm not familiar with the built-in peq on the SVS since mine does not have it. If it will handle below 20hz then I'd say that is a good thing and will work for you well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I moved the sub to the right rear of the room. Curve looks a little better.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Unfortunately, you're using the incorrect newrs.cal file for your Radio Shack meter. The file you're using got onto our server by mistake and a few people downloaded it before we found the problem.

Reload the correct file here.

You shouldn't have to remeasure if you've saved your mdat files and filter files. It will make a difference to the graph though.. Sorry. :)

Also note this info about graph axis limits.

brucek

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It appears that I cannot download the newrs.cal file now. Also the images for the graphs are nice little red x's.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This graph shows how the sub interacts with the mains.

Attachments

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
rcarlton said:
It appears that I cannot download the newrs.cal file now. Also the images for the graphs are nice little red x's.
Are you still seeing little red x's?

I see the images fine and when I click on newrs.cal I get ask whether to open or download when using IE. FF opens it unless I right click and select save link as to download it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get the little red x's when using IE. Nothing shows up with Opera or Firefox.

Cannot download the file in any of the browsers. Get a message saying:
This file or image is protected.

You may be required to be registered and logged in at Home Theater Shack in order to view the file or image.

If you would other wise like permission to use this link, please send an email to:

[email protected]

I'm registered and logged in...otherwise I couldn't post.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts