Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie. I just installed REW v5. (I'm really excited to have found such a powerful tool for such a great price!)

I'm going to hold off asking lots of questions until I read the manual and forum posts, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions...

But for my first "constructive criticism", some of us have various visual impairments that cause us to prefer using Windows High Contrast mode. (Basically black background with white or yellow text...) For me, this is MUCH easier on the eyes, especially in lower light environments were bright white backgrounds blind me.

REW (and the installer) apparently do not take window color hints from the Windows control panel. This makes even installing the program difficult in High Contrast mode.

Request - please make REW default to theme-aware colors. (I.E. work in High Contrast mode.)

Question - can I customize the color scheme of REW to support black background?

Thanks!

Keith

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I downloaded the 5.01 beta and selected the blue background mode. Better, but I still had to swap to a non-high contrast theme to use the Preferences dialogs (and figure out what the "New REW version available" dialog buttons said...)

I'm going to try uploading some png's to illustrate.

Ok, I uploaded three pngs. How can I href them into this post?

As you can see (I hope), in High Contrast the button text and blue text on black (help section) is hard to read. (At least for me...)

The Normal png is easier (but not easy) for me to read - once my eyes adapt to the bright, white background (which takes minutes). But the white background leads to headaches and low-light blindness when I look away from the computer to deal with other stuff.

I understand this is probably not an issue for normally sighted people. It's a real pain for the legally blind.

Thanks for your consideration.

Keith

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I'll investigate that Keith, some of REW's colours are chosen by REW and some are picked up from the underlying OS settings, as your screen capture shows that gives pretty poor results in high contrast mode. Not trivial to resolve, it will take me a while to figure out how best to handle the underlying OS theme changes while keeping some consistency to the REW look and feel across operating systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, John!

I realize this effects few users (like maybe nobody else in the world). So I don't expect to this to be high priority... :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I have modified the colour handling for the next release (beta 18) so that REW should remain useable in High Contrast mode. Probably best selecting 'Use Dark Background' in the View preferences. It is likely far from ideal for you, as the dark background was designed to be fairly muted for people using REW in dim lighting (e.g. at live events) so the overall contrast may be too low, but hopefully it is an improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts