Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about REW for years but have yet to take the plunge, although I am getting much closer.
Recently I bought a Galaxy CM-140 from Amazon (it's still in route to my house).

A mic has not been purchased yet, but I will more than likely use the Dayton EMM-6 microphone (if this a decent microphone?).

It seems that most of the graphs I see posted are using SPL, so are most of them using the SPL meter as the input?
It seems like most of the input would come from the measurement mic and not the SPL meter?

I am about to update my HT and get into some way better subs to fill my room.
The first thing I want to do is use my current sub to determine the best place to position a sub enclosure.
Would I do this by putting my current sub in my listening position then measuring [with SPL meter] at different places around my room to determining the best location for the new subs?

Thanks for any answers you might be able to give me.

·
Super Moderator
9,274 Posts

It seems that most of the graphs I see posted are using SPL, so are most of them using the SPL meter as the input?
It seems like most of the input would come from the measurement mic and not the SPL meter?
Yes, the input comes from the measurement mic. However, any kind of noise generates sound pressure, so it’s appropriate for an in-room measurement to be graphed as sound pressure level. The meter calibrates REW’s internal meter so that the levels indicated on the left side of the graph are reasonably accurate – or at least as accurate as the meter is.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
So the SPL meter is just used for initial calibration of REW.
When calibrated, the measurements are done with the mic?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really, you can get by without it. Your money would be better spent on a custom-calibrated mic from Cross Spectrum.

Regards,
Wayne
Well cool. I might just send it back.
Is there a Cross-Spectrum calibrated mic that you can recommend?
They seem to have the same ones as Parts-Express.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see lots of references to the Cross Spectrum MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone
Is this a good choice for a mic that works well with REW?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts