Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folk!

I tried to use REW on a PowerBook Pro (10.4.9) and a Firewire Solo device.

REW doesn't work. It don't see the Solo device and I got this in the log. As well, I tried Solo with another software (but not Java) and all is fine. If I try to change device input in REW, it freeze.

Does someone already tried this kind of M-Audio device with REW and a Mac?

10 juin 2007 18:42:11 roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard main
INFO: Room EQ Wizard started
10 juin 2007 18:43:00 roomeqwizard.O A
GRAVE: Exception trying to open record device
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: Unexpected Error

javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: Unexpected Error
at com.sun.media.sound.SimpleInputDevice.nOpen(Native Method)
at com.sun.media.sound.SimpleInputDevice.implOpen(SimpleInputDevice.java:275)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMixer.open(AbstractMixer.java:286)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMixer.open(AbstractMixer.java:334)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(AbstractDataLine.java:103)
at com.sun.media.sound.SimpleInputDevice$InputDeviceDataLine.open(SimpleInputDevice.java:632)
at roomeqwizard.O.I(Unknown Source)
at roomeqwizard.M.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireActionEvent(JComboBox.java:1197)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(JComboBox.java:561)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedIndex(JComboBox.java:597)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicComboPopup.java:827)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:232)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5554)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3126)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5319)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2010)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4021)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2068)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3869)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4256)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3936)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3866)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2054)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1774)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3869)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Apple provide only limited support for the JavaSound classes, preferring that people use their (platform-dependent) CoreAudio classes instead. For REW, which uses JavaSound for cross-platform portability, that means only the on-board audio input is supported, though off-board audio outputs may be accessible by selecting them as the default in the Mac's audio preferences. Leave REW set to use the default input and output, but set the sample rate to 44.1k, it may then work. There are various display bugs on the Mac also, which have been fixed in the current beta build but that is not yet available for download.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John!

I tried to switch to 44.1 and "default" input/output but when I do this REW crash completely (no way to exit, close windows and "kill app" does work).

I'll look tonight if I can have more log for this case.

I tried others Mac apps as FuzzMeasure and these works fine with the M-Audio device but as you said, they use Apple API.

T

·
0 Posts
I'm using OS X 10.4.10, REW with M-audio Transit ..and see exactly the same errors. Does the unreleased Beta fix these issues ? My workaround is to use the built-in Line-In port...

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
The beta has no effect on access to inputs on USB audio cards, that is governed by Apple's JRE. It has been reported that all works properly with Leopard though, I'll be installing that shortly to check compatibility.

T

·
0 Posts
Stability is a issue, no doubt about that. But I could get some measurements from REW (I'm a newbie with REW, so I'm in the learning mode. I'm now trying to use REW using Windows XP as a guest OS with VMware Fusion. Lets see how that goes...

Hey tablaloops, I too use the line in port but I still have stability issues. How did you get it to run without crashing after 2 measurements?

T

·
0 Posts
I think, there is too much latency with REW in a virtualized enviroment.. I'm not getting the right graph while calibrating the Transit.. *Sigh*

Stability is a issue, no doubt about that. But I could get some measurements from REW (I'm a newbie with REW, so I'm in the learning mode. I'm now trying to use REW using Windows XP as a guest OS with VMware Fusion. Lets see how that goes...

D

·
0 Posts
I used a solo with my laptop PC with no problems right out of the box. I was using an ECM-8000 mic at the time.

I wanted more accurate full range measurements so I sold the mic and solo in favor of the EMM8/usb preamp...still trying to get it to work. Hopefully it is just the stupid operator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts