Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

This post is kind of a continuation on a related question I asked a couple of years ago here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/61875-useful-method-comparing-acoustic-devices.html#post550726. Since then I've developed an acoustic treatment product I'm ready to market, but would like to utilize REW to produce measurements, graphs, and/or specs typical end users can understand in order to make more informed purchasing decisions.

I've compared my product to competing products using REW through various measurements and numerous listening tests in differing scenarios, and feel they hold their own extremely well, and even excel in certain areas. But, showing the data in a way that's easy to understand by the average consumer is proving to be a challenge. Also, as you might have guessed, I don't own an impedance tube or a high end acoustic measurement facility.

Just a little info about the product: They are similar to tube traps. They're portable and free-standing devices, and can be installed in a traditional fashion against walls and in corners, as well as hung from ceilings, etc. However, since they have a relatively large integrated air space, they still perform well away from walls and corners, which makes them highly useful in a studio environment. When utilized near source instruments or monitoring/loudspeaker systems, their benefits are increased due to proximity.

Due to their portable nature and varied acoustic effect based on varying locations, I'm thinking that typical room measurements are not applicable to this product, and would not have as much value. For example, they can be used highly effectively in close proximity to a mixing engineer and nearfield monitors, which are typically less than five feet or so from the engineer's listening position. Because of their broadband absorption capabilities and close proximity to the engineer in this case, the difference both aurally and by measurements is much more evident than if they (or other types of broadband absorbers) were much further away in the room (I've done many measurements to support this, and the difference in the room is not subtle when listening). Like typical broadband absorbers, they can be used effectively along walls and in corners, too.

So, based on the above, would RT60 measurements at varying frequencies compared to competing products be useful to a mixing engineer, for example? Any others for this type of customer?

For home theater rooms, installs along walls and in corners would be typical. In this case, would measurements at the listening position be useful compared to competing products and/or no product at all?

I've already inquired about Sabine values, and it seems that would be too difficult. Any other measurements you can think of? Any advice greatly appreciated!

By the way, I'm developing before and after samples as well. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts