Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently measurement my system and am getting some weird results.

This is my center speaker:

I have no idea why those things are happening, but I am suspecting that it could be an error in the measurement or with my gear. I am using an M-Audio Fast Track soundcard and Behringer microphone.

Is it something you have seen before? I am using lots of diffusors in my room, but I doubt that they can make those artifacts. Any input?

If the ETC is needed, here it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, but I just saw the weird stuff that happens between 2khz-10khz which does not look normal. Its clear on the waterfall and on the spectogram. The RT60 goes sky high too above 10khz.

Do you have any idea what is going on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here you can find the mdat file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10759510/ForumPics/2013/Center.mdat

I have tried again tonight and whenever I raise the level (db FS) in REW the weird thing in the top frequencies is present. When I lower the level in REW but turn up my processor, it is gone. No clipping on my sound card in any of the cases though. If I keep REW at -16dbFS, it sounds good.

(I'm using OSX if it matters. 44.1khz).

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The mdat file shows very high levels of odd order harmonic distortion in the measurements made with -5dB FS sweeps, which suggests the signal is clipping somewhere in the chain - could be at the processor input, for example. Stick with a lower sweep level setting in REW (the default -12dB FS is usually fine) and check the distortion plots to make sure the harmonic levels are not excessive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mdat file shows very high levels of odd order harmonic distortion in the measurements made with -5dB FS sweeps, which suggests the signal is clipping somewhere in the chain - could be at the processor input, for example. Stick with a lower sweep level setting in REW (the default -12dB FS is usually fine) and check the distortion plots to make sure the harmonic levels are not excessive.
That was what my test showed as well. Thanks for confirming! Where do you see the distortion plots?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts