Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Untouched and 1/3rd octave smoothed. I am using a SVS AS-EQ1 with a Onkyo PR-SC5507.
subs are dual danley dts-10.

Is there anyway to tell if it is a room mode thing i have, or is my eq doing something to it?

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Your graphs will be in a more useful format if you switch the frequency axis to logarithmic. Log is both conventional and matches how we hear. I would leave smoothing off for sub measurements.

If you are asking about below 10Hz, you should just ignore that and cut off the x-axis at 10Hz. It's probably not relevant, and I expect the mic calibration file does not go below 5Hz.

Are you asking whether the dips between 60Hz and 70Hz reflect a room mode, and your listening position in the room? Probably. You can use a room mode calculator to estimate where the modes should be given your room dimensions.

Or are you primarily interested in whether your equalization is doing something? If the latter, you can turn disable the AS-EQ1 and disable Audyssey in the Onkyo and measure the difference in the response compared to your response with Audyssey On.

Bill

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your graphs will be in a more useful format if you switch the frequency axis to logarithmic. Log is both conventional and matches how we hear. I would leave smoothing off for sub measurements.

If you are asking about below 10Hz, you should just ignore that and cut off the x-axis at 10Hz. It's probably not relevant, and I expect the mic calibration file does not go below 5Hz.

Are you asking whether the dips between 60Hz and 70Hz reflect a room mode, and your listening position in the room? Probably. You can use a room mode calculator to estimate where the modes should be given your room dimensions.

Or are you primarily interested in whether your equalization is doing something? If the latter, you can turn disable the AS-EQ1 and disable Audyssey in the Onkyo and measure the difference in the response compared to your response with Audyssey On.

Bill
thank you for that info, i used a galaxy 140 with the cal file i found in the rew setup thread.

i will have to look into a room mode calculator.

i wasn't sure if someone could tell if it was a room mode thing, but you are totally correct, i need to start turning things on and off to figure out if its something thats happening because of the equalizing. Thanks!

·
Registered
678 Posts
A room calculator may give you a good idea whether the dips at 63Hz and 67Hz correspond to half-wave length multiples of your length or width dimensions. You may then find it helpful to confirm this by using the REW RTA function to move the mic around, say two feet in each direction from your listening position, and see how the null changes.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Try posting your next graphs at 10hz-200hz with your mains involved as well. They may fill that 60-70hz area in. The DTS10's fall off sharply below about 12-13hz so don't worry about anything below 10hz. Remove smoothing or set it as minimal as possible (1/24th octave) for more resolution. I almost never use smoothing for bass measurements. Tighten up the scale a bit too. try for as total range of about 60db from quietest to loudest. (45-105db or 55-115db etc...)The rest of what I can see looks good so far. Switch to logarithmic scale too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Try posting your next graphs at 10hz-200hz with your mains involved as well. They may fill that 60-70hz area in. The DTS10's fall off sharply below about 12-13hz so don't worry about anything below 10hz. Remove smoothing or set it as minimal as possible (1/24th octave) for more resolution. I almost never use smoothing for bass measurements. Tighten up the scale a bit too. try for as total range of about 60db from quietest to loudest. (45-105db or 55-115db etc...)The rest of what I can see looks good so far. Switch to logarithmic scale too.
mains are set for 80hz - jtr quintuples

will definitely try to do that, i'm not sure if i am making a noob mistake somewhere, with my mains involved, it definitely sounds like some signals below 80hz are getting sent to my mains, when i perform a calibration and the mains are on, i won't hear anything from the subwoofer?

maybe i'm not reading it right, or not doing it right.

·
Registered
678 Posts
... it definitely sounds like some signals below 80hz are getting sent to my mains, when i perform a calibration and the mains are on, i won't hear anything from the subwoofer? ...
The crossover is gradual in both directions. Typically the low pass filter to the sub is 24dB/octave, and the high pass filter to the mains is 12dB/octave. So you will still hear the mains below 80Hz, and the sub above 80Hz.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts