Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Last night I got miniDSP UMIK-1 and set it up very quickly. I am using Windows 10 with REW v5.15 beta 8. I found REW is a really useful tool. I hoped I got it earlier.Could you please help me with some question? I appreciate it.

So I used REW to find the optimal sub placement. Firstly I placed the mic on the MLP at ear level, then moved my Sub (Hsu VTF 15H mk2) to 3 different locations, measuring each SPL response. The first picture below shows the SPL results at these 3 locations with 1/6 smoothing. So which location is the best? Is it the right measurement procedure to find optimal sub location?

I thought the green curve of the first plot is the best location for my sub. Then, I used Audyessey to do auto-EQ. The comparison between before (green color) Audyssey and After (blue color) Audyssey is shown in the 2nd picture which doesn't apply 1/6 smoothing.

Then, I did a center+sub measurement with output to HDMI3 only (15Hz to 300Hz). The comparison between before (red color) and after (green color) Audyssey is shown in the third plot without applying 1/6 smoothing.

So based on this preliminary result? Is there benefit for me to add 2nd same Hsu sub? Any suggestion? Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, roudan!

For starters, it’s best to analyze subwoofer graphs with no smoothing, so it’s hard to pick the best trace from your first graph.

The main reasons for adding a second matching sub are (a) to increase headroom, and/or (b) to achieve response that’s more even at multiple seating locations.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum, roudan!

For starters, it’s best to analyze subwoofer graphs with no smoothing, so it’s hard to pick the best trace from your first graph.

The main reasons for adding a second matching sub are (a) to increase headroom, and/or (b) to achieve response that’s more even at multiple seating locations.

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks Waynes. Appreciate it. Here is the plots without smoothing.

Try a few more places, that said the green graph seems the way to go.
Thanks b bos 37

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try both the dark and green curve option after you have set try moving you sub a little bit at a time until you get a smother curve.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I personally like the red one. It's got a little nicer house curve, and to my eye it looks flatter all the way across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts